Immigration in the US

Terry Pratchett did that joke a few times. It’s one of my favorites. Once was with Vimes talking to the people who wanted to put the Dragon as a King, and the other was between Nobby + Colon.

Fahrenthold is so good.

Oh please God, can something still matter in 2019? Because if people actually are exposed to this information and are able to absorb it (instead of utilizing the Fake News Ostrich Maneuver), seems like it would really piss off his racist/xenophobic base.

I know that’s a lot of ifs and I’m a little doubtful this will gain traction, but I can keep a glimmer of hope that this will be one of the thousand cuts that brings him down in 2020, can’t I?

It doesn’t matter, because to Trumpists, business that use illegal immigrant labor are just being smart about their costs.

The immigrants themselves, however, are foreign invaders who deserve to be shot while trying to cross the border.

It’s pretty simple: it’s the brown people who are stealing the jobs, not the white ones who provide them.

Part of the blue wave in NC was election of some new sheriffs in large counties which promised less ICE cooperation. There have just recently been some large high-profile ICE roundups and raids in these counties, and ICE is suggesting that this stepped up action is directly in response to their loss of local cooperation. I’m not sure if this is intended to be punitive, or just more open action under their own name which would have happened anyhow.

" Atlanta field office director Sean Gallagher estimated the agency had detained about two hundred people across the state this week, not including about thirty picked up (at a Sanford gun manufacturing plant.) […]

Usually, he continued, ICE makes about fifty at-large arrests per week in the region under his supervision, which includes Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina."

Good news: we placed over 99% of children with adults who are NOT child traffickers.

So how does a child trafficker get in contact with ICE to help offload these kids? Do they just call them up and start making bids? Do they have to prove they’re traffickers first?

I find it quite hard to understand the point of this:

Basically ICE creates a fake university for the purposes of enticing people to become undocumented immigrants or for existing undocumented immigrants to reveal themselves, then detains them. Presumably people enrolled because they were told that their status would be somehow improved by doing that. ICE claims the detainees all knew the school was fake, but actual people at the ‘campus’ report student interactions that calls that claim into question, e.g. people showing up complaining that they couldn’t get class info etc.

Yeah I’ve been reading over this myself. It seems like entrapment. If they wanted to catch people doing what they say they wanted to catch, they could have just sent in people undercover and caught systems with obvious red flags. Instead they went to a lot of effort to make theirs seem legit only to turn around and claim it was obvious it wasn’t legit. It’s just… ummm, ugh.

Seems equivalent to a cop selling drugs and busting you for buying them. Or pretending to be a prostitute. Those seem legal.

Not saying legal is right, btw.

This could get interesting.

Not exactly.

If they claimed the school was not fake, it’s akin to selling somebody aspirin, which turns out to be an illegal drug instead, and busting the buyer for buying the drug (which he was told was aspirin).

Okay I see what you’re saying. The ICE argument thought, is that the students enrolled knowing it was fake. Which they dispute. Got it.

One reason why we need a CA President:

Aw man, I can’t even use the “there are dozens of us” gif :(

Haha! There are… ones of us!

House is voting on the bill to terminate Trump’s emergency declaration now. You can watch it live on CSPAN! So far 11 GOP crossover votes.

In an alternate universe, the Paul Ryan-led House is currently voting to overturn President Clinton’s declaration of a national emergency for climate change.

Not an emergency

It’s ALWAYS projection. Who’s doing the child raping? Q and Repubs make up conspiracy about Democrats? Nope - it’s people who support Republican ideology.