Immigration in the US

Welcome to Singapore!

You mean that haven of (economic) freedom? /s

Exactly

Sigh

Since they were all voted down isn’t doesn’t much matter.

Apparently Trump and the Mexican President got in a fight because of who is going to pay for the wall.

Because, apparently, idiots still think there is a non-zero chance that Mexico is going to pay for the wall.

Because they are fucking idiots.

As I recall, their last discussion had Trump asking something like, “Well, can you at least say you’re considering it, to help me politically?” He’s been trying to get other leaders to board his bullshit express so he looks good on the news.

He’s probably unaware that a Mexican politician announcing support for Trump’s wall would soon be an ex-politician. Trump’s not so big on empathy or knowing things.

Recent Fox News story covering all the bases:

• DACA
  • Illegals
  • Mom only speaks Spanish
  • ICE investigation
  • Sanctuary City uncooperative in face of danger
  • Terrorist
  • Mental illness
  • Fake social media accounts
  • Obama permitted this

I don’t know how they were able to write that article. It hits so many of their talking points that they must have been furiously masturbating the whole time.

Meanwhile, SCOTUS has declined to hear the Trump administration’s appeal on lower court rulings that overturned his rescinding of DACA.

What that means, for now, is that DREAMers are safer. The March 5 deadline is something that likely cannot be enforced, and DREAMers will be able to renew after that.

The only real downside to this is that it takes away any urgency or impetus for congress to pass meaningful immigration legislation. There are an awful lot of congresspersons on both sides of the aisle breathing a sigh of relief.

The injunction that was upheld also only requires the government to accept renewal applications, but makes no consideration for accepting new DACA applicants.

This is appalling.

Sharpe: that was a solid summary of 1980’s bill and problem. Big concern on right is that big amnesty also encourages more illegal immigration because people know once there is enough there is another amnesty bill.

Is the left now open borders mostly? I have hard time seeing a coherent position in left other than maybe border enforcement. But once you make to past the border you are ok?

The current political position has seemed to driven both parties to rather extreme and unworkable positions on immigration.

My position from a mostly leftish standpoint is to punish and penalize employers of illegals, not employees or immigrants. If there are no jobs available, no economic incentive, immigration would stop by itself, as data has shown again and again (immigration to Spain, both legal and illegal, was a big net negative during the crisis, for example). And by focusing on controlling and punishing companies and not individuals you avoid much of the personal drama.

Border enforcement without proper employer checks and inspections so that illegal employment stops being viable will not stop immigration other than by a small margin and will increase the human suffering of those attempting to cross.

Of course, severely reducing illegal employment rates will create positions to be filled by legal immigrants, but that’s fine in my book.

Obama was the first president to successfully combat illegal immigration; that is to say his policies resulted in a significant decrease in illegal immigration and a net reduction of illegal immigrants in the US.

I don’t think anyone seriously advocates open borders, and there is not really a viable “left” in us politics, but the centrist position of normal immigration controls and selective enforcement was showing very positive results.

I like that, at least from a philosophical standpoint. It’s like punishing the drug dealers and not the users (although a chunk of US industry is addicted to the flow of illegal labor, so the metaphor falls apart when I look too long at it).

You mean the recession led to a significant decrease. It was much more the cause than anything Obama did.

The numbers of illegals working day to day jobs is staggering, and many work good paying jobs. But, employers who hire them should be required to run checks prior to hiring, and I have no figures but I imagine the economic impact of the illegal is pretty damn high as a positive in some areas.