Immigration in the US

hmm hmm…

So poor children of undocumented illegals shouldn’t receive food assistance? Can they go to schools?

Ok, what about the parents? Do we rollback these community medicaid programs in New York so they go to the ER for routine services again?

I’m not really arguing for one side or the other of the issue, just trying to nail down what financial assistance means.

To be clear, poor children of undocumented illegals do not currently receive federal food assistance. This is important, as many far right folks say that the illegal immigrants cost us tons of money in such things, but no, they do not, because you need to be a citizen to receive SNAP benefits. There are other, private charities that provide such benefits, but that’s their choice.

For schools, I have no problem educating such children.

Again, those programs do not cover illegal immigrants.

And really, they shouldn’t.

I’m totally in favor of people being allowed to become American citizens. I would remove the current restrictions and quotas that make that difficult.

But I’m not in favor of our country paying benefits to people who aren’t citizens of our country.

Well, since 9/11 they changed something in NY and started giving out lots of emergency medicaid. I googled and it says: "Be a NYS resident (temporary lawful residents do not have to meet the State residency requirement). "

So like, anyone with a visiting visa. It was very easy to get temporary medicaid. I work in a clinic so I see lots of this.

Well, that’s ultimately up to the state, as they run their medicaid program. But even in that case, they aren’t covering illegal immigrants.

The feds actually make it possible for them to file by giving the ITINS. SSN’s with which they can legally file and get refunds. Sadly many allow the numbers to expire. The IRS is currently collecting the SSN’s used by illegals for employment, SSN’s that belong to people like you and me. I have no idea what they are going to do with the info however.

I agree. I know that isn’t a popular opinion but while I do support making it easier for those here to become legal and eventually citizens I am not in favor of supporting every illegal, yea, I said illegal, who enters the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/17/politics/supreme-court-federal-law-deportation-immigrants/index.html

(CNN)The Supreme Court on Tuesday invalidated a provision of federal law that requires the mandatory deportation of immigrants who have been convicted of some crimes, holding that the law is unconstitutionally vague.

As expected after the oral argument, Justice Neil Gorsuch joined with the more liberal justices for the first time since joining the court to produce a 5-4 majority invalidating the federal statute.

SCOTUS opinion: SESSIONS, ATTORNEY GENERAL v. DIMAYA (PDF)

LOL amazing irony that Gorsuch was the deciding vote against. I wonder if Trump will rail against him as an activist judge.

Cross posted from the SCOTUS thread.

Last week’s This American Life was about Senator Jeff Flake and his efforts to get a DACA bill passed.

It’s a story we already know, but it’s interesting to see the insider perspective, to see what happened from Flake’s perspective as the story unfolded. There were several moments when I had to pause my workout to put my palms on my face. It’s sometimes frustrating to listen to, but interesting.

Only a step on a long road, but about damn time there was some positive movement re: DACA. I’ve got a co-worker and know several other people who are personally affected by this ongoing nightmare.

You won’t believe the number of border incidents reported this year. And you shouldn’t.

Just came here to post that. Fucking unreal, but not unexpected.

Border Patrol seems to attract a certain kind of horrible person.

Yes, we are the baddies.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/tom-eblen/article210676214.html

Yeah, good luck dipshit. You got conned. Maybe you should have been listening to all of us libtards the past two years instead of going to Trump pep rallies.

Oh man, you didn’t think that the guy who based his entire candidacy on hating immigrants was gonna hurt your business that employs a ton of immigrants?

You couldn’t put 2 and 2 together there, chief?

Fucking imbeciles.