Immigration in the US

Easy. You just never care, at all, if they are reunited. No problem at all.

This.

I had the fortune to meet a famous artist by the name of Csaba Markus this evening. Csaba grew up poor in communist Hungary. His father fled the country because he’d been part of the resistance. His mother took him and his siblings to museums every week because it was cheap and they had little money.

Young Csaba eventually realized that other human beings had made all those paintings. In his words, they had two eyes and two hands. I had two eyes and two hands. So he decided he would become an artist.

Unfortunately, the government had decided that his country of 9 million people only needed 5 new artists every year. Naturally, those chosen weren’t poor with no standing. And when he snuck in to see a government bigwig, they told him that his dreams were too big, that he needed to be more realistic. At that moment he decided Hungary was no longer his country.

So, after trying for several years to get into art school, he chose to try to leave the country, which took another 7 years to get a passport.

And so he eventually found his way to the United States and eventually became one of the most recognized artists in the world.

That, my friends, is what this country has always been about. This is the place people come to escape oppression, to find opportunity, to chase dreams.

Immigrants enrich this country in innumerable ways by bringing their passion and their dreams with them. Who is to say what young boy or girl coming across the border will be the next Csaba Marcus, or technological innovator, or brilliant scientist?

What’s happening now is disgusting. Not just children being ripped from their parents, but the fact that so many people in our country simply don’t care.

Like Csaba, I look around me now and I think “this is not my country.”

I’ve seen a bunch Csaba’s work. Very nice.

Unfortunately, most FOX viewers would read your story and the words would morph into, “So eventually he found his way to the United States, where he joined that Mexican gang with the 13 in it and raped everyone he didn’t kill.”

Or they would think he was stealing an artist job from a (white) American

Or being the idiots they are, just assume @Misguided was talking about a refugee who didn’t have enough to eat.

Figures, too, with the whole starving artist stereotype and all.

“Educate yourself.”

That account’s gotta be a Russian troll. It’s literally just filled with right-wing lies and propaganda retweets.

I assume you’re referring to Trump’s?

So I took a quick trip downtown today here in Grand Rapids, and among other things stopped by the rally being held in support of aslyum seekers. Lots of signs about keeping families together, of course, but the speakers were also making sure to cover the fact that asylum seekers are not criminals and deserve due process. Several hundred folks out in spite of 90+ temps and 100+ heat index. Proud of my community for turning out in support!

Is that woman choking herself? Is it one of those things where she knows she shouldn’t doing what she’s doing, but just can’t stop herself?

There was one here in Portland, I stopped through on my way downtown for another event, that had a good crowd.

But it got messy in the evening. Turns out the alt Reich Patriot Prayer group held a rally, there was a counter rally that spiraled into police clearing the street, tear gas and riot police.

I wasn’t down there for that, but will be passing through the area on my way back to Beaverton, it’s right by the Blue Line Max station. I’m taking my time with dinner at a place a mile away or so.

Couple shots from the LA event. I was there with the family for a couple hours. Some good speakers… Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsome, and others.

Favorite sign of the day: “EAT SHIT NAZI SCUM”

Actual information on the attacker here.

I haven’t been following the story too closely, but this in the first time I’ve heard this bit.

It sounds like these kids are simply going through hell their first years on this planet.

We went to a vigil for the kids tonight - my wife taught one of them a couple of years ago in Head Start.

It’s tragic. The apartment complex has a ton of refugee families. The story as I understand it is that they gave this guy a chance to live there out of kindness, then told him to leave after he got violent a few times. Then he came back and did this, at a birthday party.

It makes me sick. Just heartbreaking.