Immigration in the US

I swear between is anti-immigrant stand and the trade wars, Trump is trying to destroy this country.

(In addition to the billion other things he does.)

In recent years, Homeland Security allowed more than 90 percent of asylum-seekers who had proven they have a “credible fear” of returning to their home country to be released in the U.S. to await their final hearing before an immigration judge. Since President Donald Trump took office, those rates plummeted to 8 percent in Los Angeles, 2 percent in Detroit, and 0 percent in El Paso, Philadelphia and Newark. the locations where the plaintiffs are being held.

That quote would be met with cheers by all Trump’s supporters.

This ad will run on the 4th of July an excellent reminder that Republican party tradition is pro-immigration.

My son was watching wrestling last night and they played an ad featuring John Cena. Apparently it is a couple of years old, but I don’t recall seeing it before and I really liked the message “Love has no labels”.

The full version is a little better.

“The average American is a Woman.”

That is not how averages work! The median American is a woman. The average American is slightly more than half woman. So, I suppose, technically the average American is intersex.

Many of Reagan’s social policies would put him far far to the left of any national-level GOP politician in office today. That said, the bulk of that speech (Labor Day 1980) was an attack on Carter’s economic policy. It’s a great stump speech, and Reagan was a great orator. But large parts of it are unfettered bullshit. Carter’s economic woes were almost certainly not his fault–the oil shock of 1973 and the uncertainty after the U.S. abandoned Bretton-Woods in 1971 were likely the principle causes. And Reagan–contrary to this speech–did raise taxes several times and run deficits every year of his Presidency.

Regardless, here’s how he closed out that speech. This is extremely jarring for modern ears to hear from a Republican Presidential candidate:

These are the values inspiring those brave workers in Poland. The values that have inspired other dissidents under Communist domination. They remind us that where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost. They remind us that freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. You and I must protect and preserve freedom here or it will not be passed on to our children. Today the workers in Poland are showing a new generation not how high is the price of freedom but how much it is worth that price. (emphasis added)

… Hmmm, but of course immigrants (legal or otherwise) commit crimes at a lower rate than native-born Americans. Therefore, logically, Conway is saying we need to deport native-born Americans to lower the crime rate. QED.

Don’t give them ideas. Although that was probably the plan after instituting no-process deportations.

I think the full version is a lot better.

Thanks for the background

That ad was shot in Ybor City down here in Tampa. They didn’t have to dress it up, it looks exactly like that in any given day.

Boy, every time I think the US is uniquely awful, I get reminded that everyone is a racist.

You are referring to the mean.

The median and mean are both types of average. The mode is yet another type of average.

Thank you for that. I was wondering why it didn’t seem right, but I could not put my finger on it.

Also, considering that mean only really works with ratio data, and gender is nominal data (it has no numerical value), the only way you can use average for gender is if you were talking about mode.

Mean and median are no ‘types of average’. Mean is simply another word for average, while median is an entirely distinct thing.

This is all too confusing for me. So am I mostly female or not?

Nope. “Average” and “mean” both commonly refer to the arithmetic mean. But the arithmetic mean is not the only type of average, or even the only type of mean. In addition to the above, there is also the geometric mean. And “average” sometimes refers to the geometric mean. For instance when calculating the “Average Percentage Return (APR)” you do not use the arithmetic mean.