Immigration in the US

Some people would like to fix this issue before the mid term election. Or we could just leave the kids suffering for political points.

You can have both, I hope. Reuniting these kids with their parents in no way diminishes the gross incompetence of this administration.

Everyone wants the kids reunited with their parents ASAP but there is zero doubt that the government will still have a significant way to go come November. It’s a giant clusterfuck of their own creation, born from stupidity, evil and incompetence in equal measure.

Anyway, I agree with Timex 100% The nuances of what to do with ICE can and should wait until after the midterms.

Not even because Ice is fine…

Just because hammering on “Trump stole kids from parents and then FUCKING LOST THEM.” Is an ideal political message.

It is super easy to understand, and it is abhorrent. That shit wins elections.

Good point.

The couple’s son-in-law is a sergeant in the U.S. Army’s 10th Mountain Division. According to the family, the Department of Defense won’t let him intervene in the case.

“Most worrying is the fact that both parents have recently undergone surgery and need medication,” the report said. “The Silvas say they have gotten calls from their mother, who said she was denied her medication. They say they have not heard from their father.”

“We don’t know what could happen to them in there,” Dulce Silva, a daughter of the detained couple, told NBC. “It would be crazy if they didn’t make it out of there.”

Agree totally. Just hammer this every single day until every kid is found. It’s that wonderful place of being both politically advantageous and the right thing to do.

While it’s hard to politic effectively if you’re trying to say 50 things, it’s not hard if you’re trying to say 2 things, especially if they are related. ICE acts like an accountable secret police, and the courts give it the leeway to do so. Abolish ICE is a message that sells in many Congressional discticts, and it should be used there alongside the family separation issue. Like that issue, Abolish ICE has the virtue of also being the right thing to do.

That works in marketing, where you’re interested in increasing your share. It doesn’t work the same way in politics, where you’re also trying to tamp enthusiasm for an opponent among people who will never “buy” your product/vote for your candidate.

“Abolish ICE” allows GOP-minded folk to regurgitate the stupid “Democrats want open borders” and “Democrats want drug dealers and sex traffickers kidnapping your children” lines to not only continue but grow, as they’ll quote every Democrat politician who says “abolish ICE” and post their statements alongside some ICE mission statement.

Again, it is 435 local elections we’re talking about. Use ICE where it sells, don’t use it where it doesn’t sell.

But elections aren’t held in a vacuum, and enthusiasm also has a strong top-down component. It can certainly work in a micro setting, but every time it does, those quotes will be available everywhere else there’s a more competitive vote as well as down the road in future elections.

And of course, ICE has nothing to do with border security or open borders, that’s Customs and Border Protection.

ICE was created in the aftermath of 9/11.

Of course, but idiots will be idiots

True, I I am thoroughly done giving a fuck what idiots think.

Deadly Traps 2020

If the Dems take back Congress in 2018, perhaps ICE can be retasked… lol

I would like ICE reformed to distribute actual ice because our office fridge’s ice machine is so bad that they bought a miniature ice maker to sit on the counter next to it, wreathing the fridge in eternal shame for its poor performance, but anyway, the new ice maker’s ice is small and weird so I could really go for some better ice and it’d be nice if racist goons got paid a pittance to do something menial like that instead of destroying families and beating brown people to death.

I would be perfectly okay with this

ICE is powerful, after all.