Immigration in the US

No doubt in the same way American slaveholders considered themselves “generous” for Christianizing and “civilizing” their slaves.

A reminder that even in Trump country there are plenty of American who are truly great.

GOP counterpoints:

• We were securing the border, no great country can be respected without enforcing its sovereignty yadayadayada.
  • Over 692 children have been reunited. (I made this number up but that’s what they’ll do anyway)

Basically push the our goal is great, and we’re doing the best we can except for obstructionist liberals and bad minorities.

None of this is defensible for anyone with two working brain cells, but… you know… They just need to rally their base. The “liberals” are a lost cause to convert, they just want to depress Democratic turnout and increase theirs. Anyway, that’s my guess.

Trump already simplified it for his base (apologies for the Fox News link, but Trump only talks to approved state media these days):

You forgot the “Obama did it too” argument.

Roosevelt rounded up immigrants and yet Donald J Savior Christ keeps our country safe and the Dems go after him for it? What hypocrites!

Also, remember when Andrew Jackson raised tariffs? Why aren’t Democrats criticizing him???

Just kidding. The average Trump supporter has no fucking idea who either of those people are.

Well FDR was the devil and Jackson helped round up those unAmerican Indians.

Never forget Obama and the Trail of Tears.

That’s a fake news picture. No way are there middle-easterners allowed in the oval office.

Only if they remember to bring The Orb.

And he’s gone. Notice how the statement was brief and professional.

I wonder were he will go next. I’ve heard that it’s pretty easy for cops to get new jobs after they get fired. Unlike the rest of us.

Well, that’s the thing. He didn’t get fired, he resigned. So it’ll be super easy to get another job, there’s no record of any termination for wrongdoing.

And, as usual, today’s GOP refuses to actually pay for the crap they want

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/07/11/trump-drains-hivaids-funding-to-pay-for-child-migrant-detention/

I don’t think enough attention is being paid to the fact that, in pursuit of protecting the border, we’ve basically voided the Constitution. I mean, DHS admits they’ve seized actual American citizens, detained them, separated kids from parents, and are now struggling to account clearly for them. I don’t say this to mean that it is somehow worse to do this to citizens than to foreigners; I say it to point out that the whole process quite obviously violates due process if actual citizens are being caught up in it.

Trumpists don’t care if a couple brown Americans are swept up in the purge of immigrants. You gotta break a few eggs, as they say.

Sure, but judges ought to take a different view. They’ve basically green lighted a hundred-mile-deep zone at all borders where the normal rules do not apply, and there’s no rational justification for it. I think it’s unlikely those citizens were swept up actually crossing the border.

Yeah, but this trampling of the Constitution is not new. Here’s a story about a US citizen that the US wants to deport to Syria because they have no idea how to handle him. They obviously have no evidence that he’s a war criminal or else they’d put him on trial, but they kept him locked up in secret, with no access to a lawyer, for months, so they just want to reset back to zero, knowing that the guy will likely be killed within minutes of being dropped off where he came from.

They go to work for smaller police forces that pay less, but that is usually what happens.