Immigration in the US

You should because it is. It demonstrates the hypocrisy of the act. Even citizens aren’t safe because of the color of their skin.

Well we can’t stop people from resigning/quitting in the face of something. The union doesn’t seem happy so it wasn’t truly voluntary.

Instead of being drummed out of every police force everywhere.

Trump administration officials, under pressure from the White House to provide a rationale for reducing the number of refugees allowed into the United States next year, rejected a study by the Department of Health and Human Services that found that refugees brought in $63 billion more in government revenues over the past decade than they cost.

I’m posting this here to help move the conversation from the other thread to here.

Is this true, an employer cannot legally check on an employee’s citizenship?

Not to my knowledge. At least not explicitly since it is usually on the employer to confirm such things.

Now the actual reality of it might be it’s actually impossible to 100% verify, which I suspect in many cases is a feature not a bug of the system. A lot of employers want to hire illegals for various reasons, so anything that makes it easier for them to play plausible deniability about it is something likely to sneak into the laws someplace.

The reality is that Big Picture, both sides want illegal immigration in a lot of ways for a variety of reasons.

An employer can request certain items of identification, drivers license, SSN card etc. However he has no way of knowing the validity of said items. Also, I have been told by people here that while the government has the ability to verify such things for an employer it has really taken no lead in setting up such a check. You would think an employer could verify an SSn for instance, but I am told that is currently available to employers. It would also have to be done on a timely basis. Does the government do anything in a timely basis?

For my job I had to go through E-Verify

Seems like any business can use it? Doesn’t seem like it takes forever…

I worked for a government contractor a few years ago. We sent people to Afghanistan to work on the bases (electricians, plumbers, etc…). Everyone that worked for this group had to be a US citizen. We set next to HR for a bit and heard them give their pitch multiple times per day. I’m pretty sure they verified this some way.

We actually interviewed (and hired) a developer who received his citizenship between the interview and when he started working.

Only when people want it to. See : background checks.

I walked into my Sheriff’s office and in under 5 minutes had my Carry Permit. Why? Because the NRA and Republicans made a system that could do that and do it quickly because of political pressures.

Now look at illegal immigration and… yeah no one really wants that system. The people hiring illegal immigrants sure as hell don’t and I suspect a lot on the left don’t want it either since it would potentially result in deportations and whatnot. Which is why I lean towards “feature” over “bug” on why it can’t be done.

There is also the issue of identity theft I’m sure. If everyone in HR everywhere basically could look up everyone in the country… yeah, that’s probably not a great system for most people at the end of the day.

Edit: E-Verify is the system I was thinking of earlier. Though I recall reading at some point saying it had flaws of some sort. Still that model seems like it should work. Then again Lou Dobbs really loved it, so that alone is enough to make me wary of it.

And that is the problem. Business and government don’t want it.

As for illegal immigrants using your aunt Martha’s SSN, well, unless the guy can actually fool the SSA into giving him benefits your Aunt Martha isn’t normally hurt by it, unless she tries e-filing her tax return.

This is categorically false. Employers MUST ask about an employee’s citizenship (as a general rule anyway).

Individuals must fill out an I-9 form on being hired. On the I-9, the employee states citizen/resident alien etc. and then must provide documentation to prove it. It is incumbent on the employer to review the documentation to verify it. (US passport works best).

I read this article, I find it a interesting footnote, since the study was never released. I wish it had been and been reviewed by non partisan groups. As it is, it suggests a possibility. For the average voter that’s going to be a really hard sell, not only for the impacts I mentioned that are in front of them, but the general common sense that people living in poverty are going to be a drain on the safety net programs, food, health care, welfare, education.etc.etc…it’s a practical narrative that needs to be overcome with some compelling and self evidence to the contrary. This is just assuming the article is accurate.

Its clearly in contention that its not accurate. Which means many otherwise fair minded people will could/would ignore it. It merits further consideration, but right now its just a subjective narrative, which you either ignore/embrace depending on where you stand in your ideology.

Note: i’m not saying it should be, but its not released (yet)

There’s no actual factual dispute of the report’s contents. The administration just didn’t like the results because they conflicted with their preferred narrative.

Yes I wouldn’t argue that, again that its a unreleased study with no peer review/ vetting. Its a draft still, which suggests (to me) incomplete (which eludes to the possibility of inaccuracy).The bias of the WH, is well documented and already conceded

So we’ve given some examples and you’ve sort of sidelined that part of your discussion. But you said it was a “certainty” that immigrants are a net negative for the treasury, so could you please post some sources that say that is true?

Studies? I admit I don’t have them. My rationale is that poor period are a greater burden on our social safety net system (no disagreement there that I know of) and the illegal immigration tend to (by a large degree) also live in poverty and also going to add to the drain on the safety net programs, food, shelters, health care, welfare, education.etc.etc…it’s a practical narrative, so practical I’d consider it common sense

I’m, of course, open to objective data sets that disprove that common understanding.

See above. I guess. I think you already discounted all of it because… reasons? Not trying to sound too condescending here, it’s just I don’t know what to do other than what we did.

Statistically, immigrants have education and earnings levels above that of average US citizens.

because its a draft, and unreleased, unverified, and (far less relevantly to me) the WH argues its validity.

Again, I do hope its true, but without releasing it, no one really knows for certain. The talk of the numbers sounds good, but how did they get there, did they consider all the ancillary factors?