Immigration in the US

I can’t tell you how lucky I felt after the election with regards to my passport. It had been expired for about 6 years and the only reason I renewed it when I did was because of an upcoming trip back to the homeland. I received it 2 days before the election and was apparently very pleased by it.

So it goes.

I didn’t know proof of legal residency/citizenship was required for bank accounts?

It’s not. The OCC rep in the article states as much, and while banks are allowed (and are likely) to inquire about citizenship status, it should not affect account eligibility.

I don’t live close to the border, but I haven’t seen my birth certificate in years. I’m probably going to request a copy just to be paranoid at this point. The idea that they can lock you up for so long because they insist you aren’t a citizen is terrifying.

So I guess they’re changing their name to Bank of 'Merica?

We’ve been doing it for almost 2 decades with “suspected” terrorists down in Guantanamo, in addition to assassinating American citizens (and children with citizenship) with drones all across the middle east, so…

Don’t worry. If any bank out there can give Wells Fargo a race for its money for being controlled by pond sucking scum, it’s Bank of America coming up behind it.

Glory to Arstotzka!

Holy shit this story.

As Juan Carlos Villatoro approached a remote village in Guatemala’s western highlands, he yelled at his driver to stop so he could hail a skinny teenager in a motorized rickshaw.

Flashing a broad smile, he asked the boy to help him on his quest.

“Pardon me, youngster,” Villatoro began. “We are trying to find and help the deported parents who have children who are still detained in the United States. Do you know of a parent who is in this situation? We’d like to reunite them.”

The teen shook his head. “There’s nobody here like that,” he said.

It was a typical encounter for Villatoro, a Guatemalan lawyer turned impromptu detective in an urgent search for deported mothers and fathers with children still in the U.S. With a name serving as his only clue sometimes, he’s traveled twisting trails in cabs, minivans and teeth-rattling old buses to search mountain hamlets where Mayan tongues and suspicion often prevail.

“We don’t have telephone numbers. We don’t have exact addresses or email addresses,” Villatoro said. “There is nothing we can do but move forward and keep fighting and searching for these deported parents.”
[…]
Even when parents are found, the result isn’t always what the searchers might expect. Whereas parents of younger children yearn to be reunited, those of older children sometimes prefer they stay in the U.S. After all, they had left Guatemala for a better life, and perhaps, some parents rationalize, they are old enough to cope in the U.S.
[…]
Palacios found himself inside a shop before the town boss — the cocode — a man with a lazy eye, wispy mustache and shirt unbuttoned halfway down to his belly. He sat in a chair as an older man shined his shoes.

“Why isn’t the American government here, coming to find the children?” he asked. “It’s a sin.”
[…]
Castillo and Erik were the first in the family to journey to the U.S., driven north by poverty and mounting debt. Lanuza and the two other children were supposed to join them later.

Castillo, 39, said he and Erik were caught by border authorities once they reached the U.S. in early May. After the second day in detention, his son was taken away. The boy cried, and Castillo fruitlessly tried to console him.

Thanks for posting that as depressing as it is.

Sounds like his plan to get illegals off the government tit is working. His base is happy +100%.

No, [quote=“None, post:1941, topic:131117, full:true”]

[/quote]

No, put her in water.

“Only the best people”… right?

A deportation agent for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has been arrested on first-degree charges of sodomy, as well as one count of incest, Oregon State Police announced on Saturday.

Blake Northway, the accused, had been employed by the agency’s Medford office. The 55-year-old was arrested on Thursday, after a joint investigation between ICE and Oregon police. Authorities said that Northway has been "relieved of all authority” and ICE has placed him on leave until the investigation concludes, Oregon Live reported.

Jail records show that the deportation officer faces 10 charges of sodomy and one of incest, according to The Daily Beast. However, authorities have also stated that the charges are not related to his work with ICE.

There are degrees of sodomy? Also, there are sodomy laws that are still enforced?

E: read the article. Apparently Oregon has sodomy laws used to punish sexual assaults of minors for some reason.