Immortals Fenyx Rising - Assassin's Cartoon of The Wild

Thanks for posting, that screenshot does more to pique my interest than most other things I have seen so far.

#odysseyreskingrumble

So I saw the video for this and I give it a meh.

Thanks, I was really confused.

Goodness, is Breath of the Wild the first video game Jeff Grub has ever played?

LOL, you made me read it again. It’s so funny. He might have a point about the cooking animation, I don’t know, but the rest of that list is hilarious.

“Unbelievable, this game has a menu just like BotW. What next, somehow you’ll control the character in this game through some sort of input device or devices? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT’S TRUE”.

(note, I have not played Breath of the Wild, but I assume there is a menu in there somewhere)

Wow you guys are BotW deniers hey? Is it because it reviewed so well, was so popular, or both? ;)

Yeah you can pick at mechanics individually and they all originate somewhere else, but it’s about a particular set of things that the Nintendo game put together so well, like:

I mean, can you name another game that has all this? In particluar,

• climb anything, limited by a stamina bar (very different from the standard Ubi parkour)
  • then jump off and glide
  • open world with challenge dungeons, using telekinesis power to move physics objects around with a big golden glow and solve puzzles
  • placing balls in receptacles to solve puzzles
  • and some of that puzzle solving is just sooo similar, like throwing levers to activate wind that blows big balls around
  • sneak up on horses from behind to ride and tame them
  • stylized art style
  • parts of the land covered in corruption
  • haven’t seen the cooking animation that he mentioned, but the way Zelda did it was pretty unique in that all the items you throw into a pot are physically present and bounce around with physics

They even have a big cyclops enemy! And mechanical enemies in the combat challenge dungeons! ;)

Note I don’t think it’s a bad thing, but as someone who has played a lot it is fairly obvious that they are borrowing heavily from BotW.

This also seems to mix in a bunch of the RPG stuff they were doing in Odyssey, and some of it’s own thing too so I am actually pretty keen on playing it. :)

Eh, he’s just summarizing some similarities which he expands on in the article links to. Having played BOTW for hundreds of hours, Immortals is clearly heavily inspired by that game. It even has a castle surrounded by evil energy at the center of the map, but where they differ is that they appear to handle exploration rather differently. For instance, BOTW removes map-maker icons from the screen when using the scope to scout out your journey. From the previews, it seems like Ubi has those on by default (maybe they can be disabled?), which is great for accessibility but seems to be going for a different approach.

No, just pointing out how Grub is being a bit of an idiot, which he is. BTW - I shouldn’t have to say this, but here we are - there’s nothing wrong with saying something is “clearly inspired by/borrowing from/etc”. But I think he’s gone a step beyond that.

If we’re “deniers”, does that make you the over-sensitive Nintendo fanboi? What utter nonsense that particular direction of the conversation is.

As a Nintendo fanboi I like to think I am of standard sensitivity.

Did you play AC Odyssey?

Nope! I own it, though…

Prithee, get thyself upon that!

I platinumed that sucker. First AC I played to end despite owning all the others and never starting them. Looks like they’re using ACO’s engine as a base.

Thanks Obama Monster Energy!

It’s nuts that it was (hypothetically) this and not the actual existing IP called Gods & Monsters that caused the change.

I barely made it past the starter are in BotW before I put it down, but this looks really cool.

Looks like this is live on the Stadia demo…

https://stadia.google.com/store

… and it’s pretty fun. Not sure if it’s my thing. I liked the arguing narrators, and general cheerfulness. Didn’t like the step towards a cartoony look. Worked fine in Stadia, which is limited to 1080p in the free version.