Immortals Fenyx Rising is what happens when everything comes together perfectly

The violence is fine, the humor is mostly inference and allusion, though there is a whole lotta talk about Zeus getting up to shenanigans with bunches of women.

This is now available on Steam.

At this price, sorely tempted.

I still have never played Breath of the Wild but loved Fenyx Rising. Can’t speak to it as a genre imitator but thought it was excellent, much better even than the first couple hours suggest. You might want to avoid if you don’t like platform puzzle levels, they aren’t required but they are plentiful. And it’s definitely a “grind a lot of content” and occasional quantity over quality type game. But pretty solid quality. And honestly the writing was lovely, great take on the self-aware mythology (again better than the intro suggests, still pretty heavy handed obviously so again if you don’t like that, it’s thick with that).

Heh. I want the game where the first couple of hours keeps going for 15-20.

Ubisoft’s AC games in a nutshell.

I guess this is unconfirmed and so therefore basically a rumor, but looks like a development on a sequel to this game may have been canceled. I haven’t played it but it seemed like the game had a lot of fans around here, seemed worth mentioning.

Now that I’ve played Breath of the Wild, and have found it to be amazing, the retroactive knowledge that Immortals was a BotW clone makes me sad that a sequel was cancelled, even though I haven’t played the original.

It was certainly highly BoTW-esque, but didn’t really approach it, much less its far more impressive sequel. Still, I thought it did pretty well overall.

I liked it quite a bit. It’s still a Ubi game, but because of that it lacks some modern Zelda annoyances like weapon degredation, intricate crafting, and inventory management.

Of course for some folks those are pluses, YMMV.

I also really enjoyed it, then got distracted by something else and never went back. I’d recommend it to anyone who likes the style of game and is ok with it not taking itself too seriously.

I’m in that camp, not a fan of my world becoming worse because I’ve been in it longer, I’ll always opt for constant progression.

I loved it. Never finished the DLC, but I really enjoyed my time with the main game. I’d like to see a sequel…

the only game I played recently, where the dialog actually was witty and good. You don’t want to miss the banter between Zeus and Prometheus…

I was having a really good time with this but then I started flagging once I realised I’d only done a fraction of the game and there was going to be a hell of a lot more of the same stuff to do across each area. I don’t want to say it was repetitive but the gameplay loop was starting to get very familiar. This was my first Ubisoft open world game and while I didn’t play it for as long as Breath of the Wild, I enjoyed the controls, quality of life features, world and personality of the game a lot more.

I had the same experience, plus some of those “vaults” or whatever they were called (the underground place with the platforming puzzles to get special armors/weapons) got crazy hard.

BTW, there was another game that came out more recently, not by Ubisoft, that had a lot of the Ancient Greek mythology theme of I:FR --what was that one called, anyone remember? It was also third person. When I saw it I almost thought, wow, how didn’t they get a cease and desist from Ubisoft.

I bet you’re thinking of this:

I was sent a code for that one which I booted up precisely because it looked so much like Immortals: Fenix Rising! And while the visuals are very much Fenyx Rising, the gameplay is entirely Baby’s First Dark Souls.

But god, that name? I’m never going to remember that. I keep thinking it’s called Abstergos, but I think that’s the evil company from Assassin’s Creed. I guess that’s another thing it has in common with Immortals: Fenix Rising: they both have terrible names.

Yeah that’s the one, thanks. Was it any good?

Not sure why folks are hating on I:FR all of a sudden. It’s a good game! Everyone seemed to like it when it came out.

Can’t really say. I just messed around long enough to get a sense of what kind of game Abstergos was. It seemed – at least up front – a lot more forgiving than Dark Souls while still hewing to the pattern. Abstergos: Curse of the Stars might be a good game, but it wasn’t something I was interested in playing at the time.