Immortals Fenyx Rising is what happens when everything comes together perfectly

What would you even say?

Things that I probably shouldn’t. :)

The third one sounds like a change in genre, too - something about a top down brawler?

It’s a weird season pass, at least on paper, and I’m curious to see how it works out for them. I’m going to buy the main game and, assuming I enjoy it a fraction as much as Tom, the first DLC. But even if I adore the game, those latter two DLC’s are going to give me pause. I’ll wait for a review on the Chinese mythology one (I love the idea, but will wait to hear about the execution) and the third doesn’t sound like something I’m much interested in regardless.

I’ll most likely play them all at release, so look around for my impressions when I do. ;)

I’ll do exactly that because our tastes seem to be pretty similar. I’m more than happy to follow your lead!

I’m just not sure what “dunking” is supposed to be enabled by the fact that Tom likes the game.

Given Scott Phillips was director for this, Odyssey, and the third and fourth Saints Row titles, I’m not surprised Tom enjoyed this.

Life is full of mysteries, I guess.

Anyway, back to the game and not pendantic foolish nonsense over a dumb throwaway comment I made in jest that seems to have rustled someone’s jimmies…

What I really hope is that this leads to more AAA level developers/publishers being more unafraid to try new franchises – even if those franchises can be waved away by reductionists as “only” riffs on previous works.

For what it’s worth, I totally would have bagged on this before the release as well! And I certainly wouldn’t have bought it. I installed it just because Ubisoft sent me a code, and even then, it was with a feeling of “well, I might as well see what else Ubisoft is doing this year…”

And, yeah, it’s really nice when something comes together like this, without even the foundation of a successful franchise under it. To be perfectly honest, I don’t know that I would have been so down on Cyberpunk if I hadn’t been playing this simultaneously. It really puts to shame every other AAA title I’ve played this year, and especially the other open-world games I’ve played.

-Tom

Grrrr. I’m trying to wait until Saturday to play this, and this isn’t helping!

(BTW, my only pre-release knowledge of this game was "Same engine and lots of the same dev team as AC: Odyssey – which I don’t even know if that’s true – with lots of inspiration from BotW. Which made me think: “Oh, a game I really love, and a game I’ve kind of really wanted to play but I can’t justify buying a Switch to play it on.” Whether or not either of those things was borne out as true-ish by the game that came out, that extremely limited pre-release knowledge was enough to make me pretty hyped to play this.)

Hey! For the first time ever I’m already playing a game before Tom’s review.

I picked this up for my PS5. Primarily because I wanted something nice looking to show it off, but also because I’d heard it was a lot more accessible than BotW, but of a similar vein. I bounced off Zelda twice, but I can already tell, about 2% in, that I’m going to go far in Fenyx. For exactly the reasons that Tom describes in his review.

I can’t wait to play more, and I’m super happy that I can safely play this in front of my kids.

Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey is easily the best Assassin’s Creed game.

Worst review ever.

Typo

Also, a question.

How is this problematic?

I also couldn’t find the joy in Breath of the Wild. Beyond that stated similarity, I feared that Immortals Fenyx Rising was Ubisoft looking to get more value out of all of their AC:O art research and that it would suffer from being the underfunded third open-world they release this year. I’m so happy to hear the recommendation for this game.

There are a bunch of folks here who didn’t care for BotW, myself included. I also think it’s hilarious when someone who did like BotW complains that Fenyx is derivative. It’s ok for Zelda to copy itself over and over I guess.

I really, really wanted to, though! It’s one of the top rated games of all time, I bought it with my Switch, and everyone was raving about it. I’d never played a Zelda game before, and I didn’t have much experience with structure-free open worlds. I tried. And tried again. Nope.

Whereas Fenyx has just been a better experience across the board. The puzzles seem less arduous. The combat is actually fun. And I don’t have to keep replacing my weapons. Plus it’s significantly less pretentious.

I registered just to respond. Was a very good write up.

Personally, started my RPG experience in 1990 or around there to date myself. This game so far has been smooth and very entertaining. Have had a very hard time finding anything to play, am in crowfall beta, have ffxiv, but nothing has stuck. Am nearing my first complete playthrough after 3 days, striving for 100% completion in all areas and plan on doing all levels of gameplay. Has really been a breath of fresh air to know it’s not me all these years, but the games until I found this gem.

Welcome to the forum, @MSO_gaming !

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! And that makes you on the younger side of things for this forum. So, you know, the lawn, stay of it, etc…

But I kid. Glad to see new blood.