Immortals Fenyx Rising is what happens when everything comes together perfectly

Fuck. Wait’ll I tell my girlfriend. :(

Thanks for that burning hot take.

I’m super early, but is it just me that finds Typhon’s perspective more reasonable than Zeus’?

I think Typhon is getting a bad rap because he doesn’t adhere to conventional standards of beauty.

Except it’s fun instead of an absolute chore like BotW. I have no problem with people liking BotW, as so many do, but as someone that thought it was just painful to play, I’m grateful to this game (and this thread), for helping me realize I’m not the only one that felt that way.

If you can’t respect that other people have a different opinion from yours about the game, and that their opinion is valid, you aren’t a fan but a fanboy.

Regardless, do stick around. We don’t have to agree.

I think Tom’s positive review of Immortals has now drawn more haters than Tom’s negative review of Cyberpunk. How’s that for a New Years surprise?

During the opening cutscene I turned to my girlfriend and said, “What if you think Typhon is right, though.”

Well, the Titans were monstrous, but Zeus did screw them all over pretty hard. That’s his whole pantheon brand.

For what it’s worth, Zeus being a dick is pretty much the subtext of the entire game. And also a fundamental part of Greek mythology!

-Tom

I only know my mythology from video games, but the God of War trilogy pretty much had most of the Gods as being dicks (except the female ones), and the Titans were the good guys. Of course, Kratos was so intent upon vengeance against Zeus that he even screwed over the Titans, because Kratos was even worse than the Gods.

I’m about 7 hours into the game. I’m enjoying it, but I’m not too happy with the controls. Some are bound together in ways that make remapping problematic and the defaults are just a bit clunky and inconsistent with those commonly used in other games.

Using the keyboard and mouse is more unpleasant as it was clearly designed for a controller. When using a controller for example you’ll find that ‘X’ is the default instead of ‘B’ for dodge, but trying to remap that will trigger its own issues requiring more remapping.

The best solution seems to be too just play with a controller and try to forget years of common controller memory from other games. It’s ok, just suboptimal. Other than the controls, I’m generally having a great time.

Subtext? So far at least it’s the text.

It’s basically the same layout as the recent AC games.

Kratos is a mishmash, but he is mostly literal Herakles, and Herakles was a major dick, unlike what most modern takes about Hercules are trying to rewrite.

Welp she just tamed a unicorn so this is pretty much never gonna be topped.

For me it made the eternal garden of spring look positively unearthly!!

Thanks for the review Tom! THis was completely below my radar, and I’m really enjoying it. It has a strong Mario vibe (I forget which one) with the Tartaros levels (otherworldly platforming with no saving!), and something near Mario (Banjo-Kazooie??) with the open world exploration…and then there’s the Tomb Raiderish indoor puzzles. I’m in!

Only a couple minor complaints for me so far…I don’t understand how the weapons switch back and forth…I’ve decided to not worry about it. And, I suck at combat because I’m using a “macintosh” keyboard with swapped alt/windows keys and I’m forever hitting the wrong one. I’ve spent YEARS ignoring the windows button and not really knowing which key was alt vs control…but I guess there is muscle memory there anyway. An xbox controller won’t help as I no longer have one (kids stole those and complain if I use it with my PC).

On a side note, controllers are consumables with a teenager.

Anyway, I was very glad to see this list of games, with thoughtful reviews. I bought Cyberpunk at launch and while it’s okay I feel bad that they spent so much time and that’s the result. Lots and lots of missed opportunities. UNLIKE this Fenyx game. I saw a statue of a dude gesturing near the turtle island, and followed his pointing hand, and there was a mini challenge there (that I didn’t figure out). LOVE IT. Perfect thing to play after finishing the snack that was Carrion!

Zeus’s performance reminds me of Londo Molari from Babylon 5, which is a plus for this game.

They don’t! The light attack always uses your sword, the heavy attack always uses you axe, and the bow attacks always uses your bow. For each attack, the amount of damage is determined by how much you’ve upgraded that “category”. The specific weapon you’ve chosen for that slot determines what bonuses might apply. When it comes to gear, Fenyx is ultimately a pretty hands-off game in comparison to other brawlers.

-Tom

I just hit my first patch of frustration after many hours of enjoyment.

It’s one of the Aphrodite’s Tears vaults. After claiming the tear, I have to exit the vault. Between the jumping puzzles with their need for perfect double jumps and the tedious need to keep pulling along boxes from the prior platform, I want to punch whoever designed this.

People were complaining about the “drab” starter area, but i loved the painterly, bold and desperate colors of the starting area. The next area is just so green and video game-y!