Immortals Fenyx Rising is what happens when everything comes together perfectly

Too early to tell. DLC 2 comes out this week, and it’s the one I wanted the most, so I’m hoping it’s really good. DLC1 is good if you really enjoyed the vaults in the base game, and/or if you want a bit more time with Fenyx and the gods after the events of the base game.

Yeah it looks like it’s endgame stuff so no point getting at the beginning.

I’d say the answer is no from the reviews so far. Not unless you really want to play more of the same game with some light edits & palette-swaps.

Here’s a pretty representative commentary on the new expansion, below.

Diego

What a huge disappointment this title was for me. I get that this type of a game is not for everyone and that enjoyment is to some extent a matter of subjective taste but damn…

I only spent two hours so take my words with a grain of salt, maybe things get better.

I felt railroaded into a really cheesy story that’s unfortunately an integral part of the game and cannot be largely ignored like in Diablo 3. Remember that talking ghost from Diablo 3? Well now you have two of them and they are ON all the time, exchanging the exact forced banter that you would expect from BigCorp writers… in some kind of a bad Irish accent that was presumably meant to be Greek.

Combat is shallow. Spam left-click to win was a very reliable strategy for the first two hours on normal difficulty. There is little to master here besides your dodge button. If you are the type player who likes to practice, min-max, and overanalyze game mechanics until you reach gamebreaking proficiency you will be disappointed. Combat is clearly not the central focus of this game.

As a matter of fact I don’t know if this game has any focus at all. Felt like a bland, checkbox-design amalgamation of “popular” game parts.

Have you…heard irish people speak?

I like your username, though.

The puzzles seemed to be the clear focus of the game to me, having watched my girlfriend play it for hours (she just cleared it after 70 hours or so). The combat involved a lot of timing dodges and parries from what I saw.

Odd, but I think I like the game more because it doesn’t take itself seriously. Those gods can say whatever they want, I know I still have to accomplish the goals of the game, but I get to do a lot of puzzles along the way. Combat is entirely secondary to me.

You are probably right, I regret calling it Irish, it’s just the first association that came to mind. Instead I should’ve called it a faux Greek accent that can pass as a number of things. But a Greek is not one of them. I should know, half of my family is Greek.

Anyhow, I don’t want to derail the conversation into the direction of something so minor as the accent. The only reason I brought it up is because I find it symptomatic of the rest of the problems I have with this title, namely, that the features of a good game are there but they are just incredibly half-assed or as they say in the industry “good enough.”

From Tom’s glowing review and especially his GOTY award I was expecting this game to be the pinnacle of something. Instead, it’s just your average business-safe title that checks all the boxes for a minor commercial success, but doesn’t truly stand out as one would expect from a GOTY.

Like from Greece Greek? I’m not an expert in the slightest but we talked about this unthread and from listening to greek people talk on the computer teevee it sounded pretty close to me, somewhat a mixture of Russian and Italian. Someone mentioned that a number of the cast are greek quebecoise.

I, too, was surprised by the GOTY designation, but Tom is nothing if not an idiosyncratic reviewer. What it really is is a pretty brazen rehash of Breath of the Wild, which my girlfriend absolutely loved, so just take that and add the ability to play as a lady and she was hooked.

I liked this far more than BotW, but quit playing because I was tired of Typhon interrupting my game constantly.

Zeus and Prometheus are actually my favorite part of the game.

It was the shrines for me. I keep thinking of playing, and then think about all I have left in my current area is shrines, and I don’t feel like going and rolling balls around platforms.

I liked the game, but not as much as everyone else here seemed to.

It’s interesting to see how the different aspects of the game push players away or draw them in. For me, the puzzles are the most interesting part. Bring on the vaults and challenges! It’s why I put the game on an easy enough mode so that I don’t have to concern myself with repeating battles trying to achieve a goal. The puzzles, at least, are the same and doable at any difficulty once you figure them out (and you have powers that allow you to solve them) and offer all the challenge I need, for brain rather than controller skill.

I downloaded the demo for this from the EGS just to see how it would run on my gradually-nearing-potato-status computer. i7 6700, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 1080. We’ll see how it goes, or whether I should buy the Xbone One version for the XSX instead.

It runs on my i7 920, 12 GB, DDR3, GTX 1050Ti just fine. You won’t have an issue.

If a GTX 1080 is a potato, i don’t want to be vegetarian.

Well, the PC Gamer reviewer said he/she/they were having stutters on a 2000-series card. Then again, maybe they were trying to run it at 4k with all the bells and whistles.

That seems likely. It ran fine on medium/high for me and my chip is basically a Dorito at this point.

More than 20 years later, “All About The Pentiums” is the gift that keeps on giving.

It really, really is.

Is that where we get the “potato” stuff from? Was it a Weird Al joint? Kinda sounds like that, given the title.

EDIT: And of course it was.

It’s where my “Dorito” comment is from, I don’t think it’s got a potato reference in it. Sounds like a good excuse to give it another listen, though. Drew Carey backup-dancing is worth it all by itself.