Impeach Dubya using same speeches as against Clinton

http://www.interventionmag.com/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=739

• “The cumulative effect of such a series of systemic abuses of the political process… points precisely toward theories of impeachment law invoked by this committee nearly 25 years ago in the matter of President Nixon. Those same theories were then, as they must be now, based on clear historical precedent, considered explicitly by our Founding Fathers, that alone among remedies to correct abuses of power or improper conduct by high public officials, stands impeachment.”-- Rep. Bob Barr (R-GA), in a letter to Judiciary Chairman Henry Hyde, 3/11/97

• “It would be wrong for you to tell America’s children that some lies are all right. It would be wrong to show the rest of the world that some of our laws don’t really matter.”-- Steve Chabot (R-OH), February 1999

• “The truth is still the truth, and a lie is still a lie, and the rule of law should apply to everyone, no matter what excuses are made by the president’s defenders…We have done so because of our devotion to the rule of law and our fear that if the president does not suffer the legal and constitutional consequences of his actions, the impact of allowing the president to stand above the law will be felt for generations to come…”–Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-WI), 2/8/99

• “Do we still have a government of laws and not of men? Does the law apply to some people with force and ferocity while the powerful are immune? Do we have one set of laws for the officers and another for the enlisted? Should we?”-- Henry Hyde (R-IL), 11/19/98

• “…let me tell you where it all comes down to me. If you can go back and explain to your children and your constituents how you can be truthful and misleading at the same time, good luck.”-- Rep. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), now a Senator, 2/8/99

• “And it is our highest duty today to vote for this inquiry so that if the result is there are no impeachable offenses we can move on, but if there is more to be done, then we can assure that the rule of law will not be suspended or ignored by this Congress.”-- Asa Hutchinson (R-AR), 10/8/98

• “When you have a serial violator of the oath who is chief law enforcement officer of the United States… you have a problem.”-- Rep. Henry Hyde (R-IL), December 1998

• “…this President and his Administration must be held accountable for their misdeeds. If we in the House of Representatives, as the body charged with oversight of the executive branch, do not hold him accountable, then we have no legitimate claim to governing this country.”-- Bob Barr (R-GA), 11/5/97

Wow, they all apply!

Impeaching Clinton was retarded. Much as I dislike Dubya, impeaching him would also be retarded. Not that a GOP-owned house would ever do such a thing…

The point, and a very valid one, is that the above rhetoric was motivated by Clinton lying about private sexual activity. In contrast, we have the Bush administration blatantly lying about far worse crimes so where’s Mr. Ken Starr?

I’ve played with the idea before, but the past few weeks have convinced me: this is one registered Republican who’s changing his party affiliation ASAP.

I guess lying about sex is bad, but lying about war is okay because it’s for your own good that you know nothing.

Jeez, I know Midnight can’t be expected to know better, but Clinton commited perjury. It’s a crime. He was guilty of it. That’s why he was impeached.

True, but impeachment is a political act, not a legal one.

Is it sincerely not illegal to intentionally, knowingly, lie to the populace about the reasons for war? If so, how about the fact that he illegally misappropriated funds from Afghanistan and used them for the Iraq build-up, a clear violation of his constitutional authority? Pretty motherfucking sure that’s grounds for impeachment. But he could rape a grandmother (oh, sorry, Koontz, I mean ‘sexually abuse’) during the state of the union address, and the Republican majority would limit themselves to commenting on his style and dick size. Fucking incredible. All these people care about is power, and nothing else.

And the Democrats were simply making independant evaluations of Clinton? Both parties value the party above anything else, because the party is their meal ticket to reelection.

Also, it’s possible that Bush has done something illegal enough to warrant impeachment. That’s neither here nor there.

But Clinton really did commit perjury, and that is explicitly grounds for impeachment. The investigation was partisan, but the impeachment was completely justifiable. All those quotes are missing the point.

You can legally impeach a President any time you want. The only constraints are political fallout; you certainly can’t get an impeachment attempt thrown out in court or something. “High crimes and misdemeanors” is literally anything Congress wants it to be.