Imperator: Rome

Finally got into this after bouncing off it shortly after release. Starting to get a handle on the various systems, but struggling with a few bits and pieces

Armies, Tactics, and Warfare

• What does everyone use for their standard army composition? I’ve been throwing a variety together, but now starting to get an understanding the lines and flanking. Do most people just stick with Heavy Infantry, Heavy Calv and Horse Archers?

• Tactics seem really cool, but also very micro. How do you find the tactics of an enemy army or nation? Is it only by seeing the armies in battle? Or can you assume the tactics based on the region you’re fighting in? If the latter, then is there any simple guide that you can reference for it?

Buildings

• What are your rules for buildings in provinces? For example, if the settlement produces grain, then I also build the farm.

• Do you all follow the academy spam that seems prevalent right now? What provinces might you put a tax office or market in?

Naval

• What’s the point here? I just set my initial navy to ‘independent operations’ and within the first few wars they’ve won enough ships to be huge. Is there any point to them other then ferrying fleets around?

• How do you get rid of pirate bases, or even effectively defend against pirates?