Imperator: Rome

Yeah, I’m really happy with this and all the ways they continue to evolve and build this game. I have a feeling they’ll be balancing some of this pretty heavily for quite some time so I’ll be hesitant to jump on this update immediately, but super excited to jump back into Imperator and EU4 after their updates land.

I enjoyed Imperator at release unlike many but 2.0 is looking like it’s going to take the game to another level. I played quite a bit of the 1.0 version so I didn’t play a whole lot of 1.2, 1.3, etc. Going to have a lot of new goodies waiting for me once 2.0 drops.

I fired it up again after 1.2, but I quickly got bored. Compared to Old World it just wasn’t nearly as fun. These changes look quite interesting. I’m anxious to give it another shot.

It blows my mind not the amount of work they put into the game but the change in the vision.

Stellaris saw a lot of change too, but it fundamentally remainder the same game. I:R 2.0 only has some graphical and sound assets in common with I:R 1.0. I’m one of the people who liked board game nature of release I:R but it’s evident that most people actually wanted a simulation with indirect control and roleplaying instead of min-maxing numbers to paint the map.

In many ways pulling off this transformation is a bigger feat than gaining popularity with their new franchises or sequels like Stellaris or HoI4.

Thanks for reminding me about this.

I had to reinstall windows on a fresh hard drive and have so far totally forgotten to reinstall Epic Games Store.

Hereby consider my interest piqued. Still going to wait until people have put the 2.0 update through its paces before considering buying the game but this seems far in my wheelhouse.

It’s probably worth mentioning that Imperator is part of the Humble Bundle this month.

And at this point I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys Paradox games. Over the last 18 months it has truly become its own thing and it seems they don’t have any intentions of abandoning it in the near term.

Bounced off this when it first came out, but considering picking it back up.

1. Is the tutorial in shape to explain the game as it now exists?

2. Is there more to the game than map painting? (To be clear, I do not mind needing to conquer and expand, if it feels like it is for compelling reasons – internal politics or border mischief or desire for a resource, etc. But if it is just the understood purpose of the game to paint a map, it will soon put me to sleep.)

Followup to last week’s dev diary about changes to the military system. Last week was about how most armies are now levies, this one talks about standing armies: Legions.

I don’t know about the tutorial, but there is certainly more to the game than just map painting at this point, but expansion is a big part of the game just like any other Paradox game. However, there is a fair amount of internal management to do. Since release they’ve fleshed out city building, food system, the pop system, religion, and culture. There is a fair amount to manage with trade if you’d like, but I find that tedious outside of the capital. There is a fair amount of character interaction stuff too and you do have to worry about the loyalty of your generals and governors

I’ve said it a few times in this thread, but I tried playing this game at release and found it just a boring map painter. I no longer believe that to be the case, which is why I’ve gotten 100+ hours out of it and will gladly recommend it to any Paradox fan.

Thanks.

I got sidetracked on a re-visit to Endless Legend the past 24 hours, but I think I will pencil this one in for a re-check next. (Assuming the tutorial is reasonable.)

So if I just got this (in the Humble Monthly), should I postpone trying it until they’re done making all these big changes? I’d hate to start figuring it out only to have the game make major changes out from underneath me.

Info in the dev diary about Diadochi-only war goals and a bunch of new mission trees.

Not sure how far out the 2.0 update is, but might be worth waiting if you’ve got other things to play.

For whatever reason the mission system has always felt a bit underwhelming to me, but this sounds like enough new content to finally get me to try out all of the Diadochi states.

AFAIK up until now you only had two generic types of mission - conquer a region and improve the region. I thought it might work great for nations that don’t expand. But I’ve tried playing Pergamon who is a vassal to Seleucids and they only have a mission that forces me to attack my overlords. Hope they do something about that.

Ugh, do not like the new cover art.

Reminds me of that terrible box cover for Settlers 7

download

Aggressors: Ancient Rome did the same concept much better

Marketing!

Reminds me of the Rome 2 Live action trailer, which had me VERY excited about the possibilities. The reality of the game was slightly different. But an extremely well done and interesting trailer, nonetheless!

There is a version of the art that seems to feature a reflection in a pool of water that I like much better. Also I think more evocative than the bland art they used initially.

The 2.0 update with the accompanying Heirs of Alexander DLC launches on Feb 16. Announcement here.

Pretty excited to see where this one goes, although I’m guessing we’ll see a pretty quick handful of hotfixes with this one due to the amount of systems they’ve reworked.