Imperator: Rome

That’s where I’m at! Downloaded and ready to go, just gonna wait a bit for a good hotfix or two.

I will definitely give it a go very soon, and will probably pick up the content pack as well to support further development. I might try to finally succeed as Sparta!

This change looks pretty huge for successor kingdoms:
“New Legacy of Alexander wargoal for successor kingdoms, in which the ownership of conquered territory is flipped immediately [as in civil wars]”
With that, you could reform Alexander’s empire within a single lifetime.

The only successor kingdom I’ve tried playing is Thrace, and then for not long so I don’t know if I’ll spring for the DLC or not (I think there are other features too but not sure if they’re worth the price). I did try to fire up a Bosporan Kingdom game earlier but just kind of stared at the map. It’s weird but despite many hours played, it feels like starting all over again.

Does that fire the “Salt Tears” event? :)

I’m going to try a tribe or maybe Egypt to see if I need to bother with the DLC.

Yeah this needs some fixin’

Levy Composition

This one is really confusing me. In the game itself, tooltips suggest that Nobles/Citizens will contribute to certain Unit Types called “Advanced”, namely: Chariots, Elephants, Heavy Cavalry or Heavy Infantry; while Freemen/Tribesmen will contribute to “Basic” units: Archers, Light Infantry, Light Cavalry, Camels and Horse Archers. The game files also appear to have lines referencing these distinctions. However, when messing around with these values for Governorships witha a single Integrated Culture, it’s become pretty clear that the classes have no bearing on the composition of units, only the Levy Template. Setting the Levy Templates to include the Basic/Advanced tags appear to just default to the respective Infantry units for each, though I haven’t been rigorous with that check.

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I wait for a hotfix or two for. :) Arheo commented in the thread that it is indeed a bug they are tracking down.

I’m loving 2.0 so far, but I’m such a novice at this game. I’ve played most of the tutorial but things like trade and starving pops are kicking my butt. I haven’t played the game since it came out, and frankly, I found it a little dull upon initial release and haven’t played since then. I wish Paradox would make a comprehensive in game tutorial for this.

This is on pretty steep sale at Wingamestore right now, and I am tempted with the new update being here and all. Some of the content packs are very cheap, too. Are they worth if it you plan on just playing Rome for a while, i.e. do they only add content if you’re going to play, say, Epirus, or do their events and such show up for other nations as well, like giving more diplomatic options to Rome in Greece or whatever.

As far as I know, which admittedly isn’t by playing yet, the DLC descriptions are correct and complete, so if they don’t mention applicability to other nations, they don’t. Although, now that I say it, it’s not entirely true, starting vassals may be affected by missions and events, but you’re not going to start by playing them, right? It’s a different situation from EU4 and CK2, at least for now.
They might change how the AI develops, though.

Pretty sure the two content packs only add very specific content so you really won’t be missing out on anything if you aren’t playing those countries. This latest DLC is the first one for Imperator that has put anything meaningful behind the paid portion of a patch. Even then, I think you’re good just playing the base game as Rome to see what your thoughts are. The few features from this DLC won’t be critical to your enjoyment.

First patch released today and it’s fairly large, but I don’t see the fix for this mentioned in the changelog:

Neither do I, but the comments mention it !?! Except on Linux, for unknown reasons?!?
Weird. Since I just got into CK3, I can wait for the real_real_release_candidate.

My biggest issue right now is that the technology/invention interface is SO TERRIBLE. The middle button on my mouse doesn’t work, so I don’t know if it’s good for other people, but I have to try and zoom way out and then way back in to try and access different branches of the trees. Of course, Paradox don’t let you rebind the middle mouse button to anything else.

Sad that this isn’t in the patchnotes either.

After playing a number of hours this weekend, I think 2.0 could turn into something special once they polish it up. Biggest issue for me so far is a civil war bug that caused my allies civil war to spawn in my territory and then gave all that territory to my ally as we stomped out the rebels. It was so frustrating that I ultimately quit that game as it had basically derailed everything I was trying to do.

I actually like the new invention system way more than I thought I would, but I hope they continue to look for ways to make it easier to use(and fix the scrolling for people without a middle mouse button) and make some of the inventions more interesting. I do really like that some inventions are pretty impactful and I like the inventions that have immediate effects. It seems like the interface could call them out somewhat as major or minor inventions and give the really impactful ones some flair. I think that would help the player see what inventions they’ll want to work for rather than having to mouse over every one, especially since currently the dead-end inventions aren’t all great.

I’m playing a game as Egypt to try out some of the new flavor stuff, even though I pretty much universally can’t stand starting games as a well-developed power. Maybe Thrace would be a more appropriately-sized choice for me next. The new Diadochi war stuff feels like a way more dynamic way to start the game and has turned out pretty differently both games I’ve seen so far, especially with Asia Minor. I didn’t actually partake in the wars as Egypt since the Antigonids handed over a bunch of territory peacefully. It was still fun to sit back and watch the Antigonids knock out Thrace and Macedon while Asia Minor exploded and the Seleucids profited(even if they are the biggest threat to me).

I broadly like the new UI/UX design, but they need to continue to iterate on it. For being a brand-new feature, the UX for getting commanders to your legion is AWFUL. The game will tell you a legion needs a commander, so you click on the notification and it takes you to the army with no commander. So you do the sensible thing and click the “change commander” button which presents you with an empty list of candidates. Turns out you have to open the Legions tab in the Military view and assign the legions command structure and only then can you go back to the army view for the legion itself and assign the commander. There are lots of other small things that are pretty counterintuitive or not where they should be right now. Jumping back and forth between the building tab and the population tab on the city view is another big one for me. I need to know what the pops look like for my city to know what to build, but that information is not available side-by-side.

I think the levy system will turn out great, but I really hate that they turn into a bunch of small armies. Not sure how to fix that as I think governors commanding their troops is pretty cool, but it’s a pain in the ass to keep track of 5 or 6 armies of 2000 men each, especially once they lose a battle and retreat across the country. Legions are cool and something I hope they continue to add more flavor to.

The changes to Military Traditions are also pretty cool. The trees are simple enough that you don’t get lost like with the inventions and the ability to branch out to other traditions is a cool idea. I hope they continue to add new traditions as they focus on other areas of the world.

So far I think the building changes are a good thing, but for an empire the size of Egypt it sucks to have to visit all of your cities to fill out building slots with the “base-level” buildings that don’t have a limit. Oh great, +2.5% here and here and here.

Great Wonders have a big disconnect with the new system between historical wonders and these custom wonders. Basically, the bonus from historical wonders kind of suck in comparison to what you can build yourself and you can’t do anything to boost them. I would like to see the historical wonders tend to be the strongest. Otherwise, I don’t mind the ideas behind the new system. I also hope they add some more styles to the different types of wonders. Ultimately, all of these wonders are going to look pretty samey with how little variety in building style there is.

Great feedback thanks for the post.

I intended to play but weirdly felt overwhelmed. I blame our new puppy. I don’t know how folks with kids can find the capacity to play games.

(So instead I booted up Old World for the first time in months. Much easier to get reacquainted with that game. 🐕)

I don’t think it’s weird to feel overwhelmed trying to jump into any grand strategy game. With every Paradox game I recommend starting with a pretty small country that won’t face any existential threats early on. In Imperator, Rome might actually be the ideal starter nation. They start small but are poised to grow easily(but you could take your time in a learning game). Most of the small Greek states have a big boy in the neighborhood that could take them out easily, so I don’t know that I could recommend those. Maybe one of the Greek colonies that’s surrounded by smaller tribes? Bosporan Kingdom or Massilia(I had a good learner campaign with them) or Emporion seem like decent options.

Sorry, I was clear as mud on my previous post: I’ve a lot of time in I:R and 1000s of hours across Ck2, 3, and EU4. :/

Ah, gotcha. Probably still worth starting with a small country whenever you get around to playing with the latest update. But I think it’s worth letting them settle this down with a couple more patches before you play.

I get this way a lot, it’s a sure sign of mental fatigue for me. It might be mental fatigue from dealing with stress, with a tough week(s) at work, or just getting worn down by the daily grind. Speaking only for myself, I’ve found it a reliable cue that I maybe should use a day or two of vacation time for a long weekend and brain reset.