Impulse Purchase

Dr. Muto. I was in an EB flipping through Play magazine at the time, when I saw Dave Halverson had an editorial about what an underappreciated gem it was. It was $20 in the used bin (which should have been my first sign), so I picked up.

I don’t read Play much anymore.

He is the king of crap buys. What the hell was that game he conned a lot of people into buying?[/quote]

Empire of Magic, IIRC. Then again, that’s probably just the latest in a string of many such titles.

:shock: You shouldn’t be trying to get over the impulse to buy Sacrifice, it’s awesome. If youd don’t mind buying from the resellers on Amazon, pick one of these up:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B00004TSX4/all/ref=dp_bb_a/102-5668505-0849747

I’ve dust-collecting copies of both that I’d unload. 'Course, that may not scratch your impulse itch.

Freelancer is a lot of fun, just not what it was originally supposed to be. Starlancer is also a really fun game, although I hate the cutscenes in mid-mission. Definitely some good pickups for 20$.

My impulse buys are usually not video game related though. A friend once mentioned that he though Battletech was cool, so I went and got Battletech, the space part of the game, the RPG add on, and the card game. Or I see Advanced Squad Leader sitting on a shelf and just buy it to skim through it. That is what I really had to cut back on.

Two actually - Braveheart and Star Wars : Rebellions. The design teams were smoking some of the good stuff when they rolled these two pieces of shit out the door.

I mean, I want both of those games. I suppose I could grab sacrifice from amazon. Can you play this game on the internet? If so then someone should kill me in it if I get it.

American McGee’s Alice $50
Black and White $50

Two to the gut. ugh.

Yeah you can play Sacrifice online. I’m up for a game if you get it.

I tried to like Pinobee on ps2, hoping it had a bit of a klonoa-ish vibe to it, but I just couldnt understand why his head got all big on a double jump. It didnt seem to serve a purpose beyond looking stupid.

I ordered them both, so you’re on when they get in

Final Fantasy VII - I picked the wrong one to start the series on.

Madden 2k2 to present - My friends always convince me that we’re going to play in online leagues, play head to head all the time and it’ll be worth it. I buy the game (usually right at release day) and two weeks later, I’m wondering where everyone went. I even invested in a new gamepad for the latest release.

Midway’s Greatest Arcade Hits for the GBA. After seeing how great Namco’s packages were, it didn’t occur to me that Midway may not actually give a shit about getting it right. I paid $40 for it without reading any reviews or comments whatsoever. Ick. I keep the cartridge as a reminder to not do that again.

Right, because it was too good and now you think you’ve ruined all of the others for yourself? Yeah, I can see that. It’s like making HL your first shooter. Eight is my favorite, but I know I’m in the minority there. Nine has a great soundtrack but I sort of blew through it, gonna have to go back and play that one again someday.

MAF, was Pinobee worse than LARGO WINCH BILLIONAIRE SUPERHERO?

Me, impulse purchases, and video game stores have a long torrid love affair. So I’ll catalog a few of them.

1. Tribes 2: I bought the hype, I randomly bought the game one day, and I didn’t buy a new computer… so I never got to play it.

2. Second copies: On numerous occassions I have the sudden urge to buy a game that it turns out I already own, and on a few of those, already played and/or beaten. Talk about an impression not lasting…[size=1]Star Wars Starfighter[/size]…

3. Systems: I found a way to turn impulse system purchases (I now have 41 systems) into bragging rights. Some of the worst of those occurred last year, however, when I bought a “blue N64” (the black one works fine) and the Genesis 3 (when I already have three working 1 and 2s)

Right, because it was too good and now you think you’ve ruined all of the others for yourself? Yeah, I can see that. It’s like making HL your first shooter. Eight is my favorite, but I know I’m in the minority there. Nine has a great soundtrack but I sort of blew through it, gonna have to go back and play that one again someday.[/quote]

Mike I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not, but you’re right. I wanted to start the series from the beginning and work through them in order. I wanted to be able to appreciate the evolution of the series.

If you want to appreciate the series stop at ff6.

Largo was prettttty bad.

Ultima IX - it wasn’t very playable on P3-450 with a TNT-2 card…

Impulse games still in shrink-wrap:
Klingon Academy
Emeperor Battle for Dune
X-wing Alliance
Imperialism 2
Tachyon the fringe