In 1998 Janet Reno said that Al Queda was working with Iraq

Well, specifically her Justice Department

http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/terror/98110402.htm

According to the indictment, bin Laden and al Qaeda forged alliances with the National Islamic Front in Sudan and with representatives of the Government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezballah with the goal of working together against their common enemies in the West, particularly the United States.

“In addition, al Qaeda reached an understanding with the Government of Iraq that al Qaeda would not work against that government and that on particular projects, specifically including weapons development, al Qaeda would work cooperatively with the Government of Iraq,” the indictment said.

To me this tremendously bolsters Bush’s claim that Iraq and Al Queda were linked

Isn’t anybody going to respond to this? This seems pretty important information

It’s misframing, and apparently they were wrong?

And the CIA debunked it (weren’t able to prove it) before Bush was elected.

This exactly demonstrates the propensity of Americans to assume that they know more than their government when consulted on any issue. Because, of course, they saw it on CNN.

IE: We have found no WAMD, therefore none ever existed, and we could have had no evidence whatsoever, ergo Bush is a liar.

I prefer to believe Bush is a liar, but that he lied because he felt his public was too short-sighted to accept an invasion designed for the removal of a despot.

Although this is pretty much exactly what I believe, I would hardly call it “preferable.” Maybe “reprehensible.” Or “impeachable.”

As to the original issue, the government seems to have all but conceded that Iraq and al Qaeda had few, if any, contacts, so the fact that DOJ thought differently 10 years ago isn’t really that important.

thanks for the replies, i see your points