In Star Wars movies ... who is most powerful?

(iome spoilers)

I used to htink it was Yoda… but after watchig the last episode… Anakin/Vader possibly was/could have been the most uber. Even Sidious mentions him as possbily being more powerful than both himself and Yoda!

I think Yoda was too old at the point in the movies… but a young Yoda would have kicked Vader and Sidious ass all the way to Tatooine. But Sidious is teh best at tricking people! Which can’t be underestimated.

Also, where is Luke in all this? Is he more or less powerful than Vader? He did defeat him in Return of the Jedi… but Vader was already 3/4ths robot.

Also Mace Windu really is badass… probably up above Qui Gon and Darth Maul… he is like Yoda’s right hand man.

Obi Wan is more the stealthy smart force user type… like a Bond 007 in Star Wars.

etc

That’s something that confused me… if he thought Vader would become more powerful than himself, why didn’t he kill him? After all, the Sith way is to assassinate your master if you can.

My vote goes to Sidious. Vader would murder him if he was powerful enough, and as we all know now that we’ve seen Ep. 3, (SPOILER), Yoda is no match for him.

Sidious > Yoda = Vader > Windu > Luke = Obi-Wan

Yeah, I’d go with Sidious being the most powerful if only because he managed to deceive and confuse everyone for so long and then when he revealed himself he was still able to fight everyone off.

I think I’d put Obi-Wan ahead of Luke though…

Actually, I’m changing my answer to put those two about even.

Actually, I was pretty disappointed

SPOILERS

with how the Yoda Sidious fight went because it looked like Yoda was a match for him. Yoda took everything he threw at him and was able to hang tough and dish it back at him, and then in the end, they’re both hanging on that center thing and Yoda just falls down. Well Sidious is still just hanging onto the other side of it, looking no more in control of his situation than Yoda was before he slipped off, but then it’s over, Yoda leaves. Why? When Yoda actually turned all that lightning around on Sidious leading up to that, it looked like Yoda ended up dishing out more damage but it was still enough to knock them both off balance, but then because Sidious has to be around for three more movies, Yoda gives up. Lame.

I’d say Yoda and Windu were both more powerful than Sidious in a straight up Jedi/Sith sense, though if you count political power and prowess, Sidious was more powerful in an influential way. But anyway, Yoda/Windu > Sidious > who knows at this point. Anakin kills Sidious in the end obviously, but then Obi Wan, even after telling Anakin he’s the far more powerful Jedi, bests Anakin in their fight. I’d put Sidious above both Anakin and Obi Wan I guess and chalk up Vader’s final victory to the element of surprise and take into consideration that he didn’t beat Sidious without sacrificing himself. But where Obi Wan and Anakin match up, I have no idea.

Pride. He knew he could use Anakin in the meantime, and assumed incorrectly, as they almost always do in these stories, that he would be smart enough to realize when Anakin was actually going to become a threat to himself and kill him first.

SPOILER

Well, obviously, Windu could take Sidious. He had him on his back cowering, and would’ve finished him off had Anakin not intervened. And you can’t really attribute that victory to the fact that it started off 4-on-1, cause the other three were out of it so quick, they simply don’t count.

On the contrary, I attribute that almost-victory to the fact that Sidious was holding back to look like a feeble old man in front of Anakin. He was very obviously not using the extent of his powers… he’s lying there acting helpless, actually saying “I’m too weak!” and then as soon as Anakin disables Windu, he freaking sends him flying. Windu never fought Sidious for real.

I specifically watched that fight looking to see if these inevitable theories would hold water. Windu disarmed and floored Palpatine before Anakin arrived onto the scene, which hardly seems like the type of strategy or calculation Palpatine would be willing to risk (the assumption Anakin will show up and in the next 20-30 seconds) at that point in time. He might’ve been holding back with the force lightning on Windu to try to sway Anakin into taking action against a fellow jedi, but prior to that Windu did win the actual duel.

And I completely agree with Wholly’s assessment of the Yoda fight. Why he left is behind me. I would’ve actually reversed that fight, with Yoda lying there unconscious or even more hurt than portrayed after his fall and Sidious approaching him. Yoda then hurls Sidious away and runs because he’s hurt. You gotta remember, Sidious did try to flee from the room and Yoda blocked him, so the way that fight was portrayed really left me scratching my head as to why Yoda would just leave with the stakes so high.

Also, the “you will learn from my new master, your old master” just left me thinking “what the f*ck? where’s this coming from?”. When Sidious backpedaled on Anakin about maybe learning how to keep people from dying and saying only one person really did learn that power, the irony is that it was a jedi (Qui Gon). But, the way it was introduced by Yoda at the end was odd.

Remember, Anakin has the highest midichlorian count.

I specifically watched that fight looking to see if these inevitable theories would hold water. Windu disarmed and floored Palpatine before Anakin arrived onto the scene, which hardly seems like the type of strategy or calculation Palpatine would be willing to risk (the assumption Anakin will show up and in the next 20-30 seconds) at that point in time. He might’ve been holding back with the force lightning on Windu to try to sway Anakin into taking action against a fellow jedi, but prior to that Windu did win the actual duel.[/quote]

Yeah, Windu won the lightsaber duel, but I was shocked to see the Emperor fighting with a saber at all. But I maintain that if he wanted to kill Windu there, he would have been choking and lightninging him.

And I completely agree with Wholly’s assessment of the Yoda fight. Why he left is behind me. I would’ve actually reversed that fight, with Yoda lying there unconscious or even more hurt than portrayed after his fall and Sidious approaching him. Yoda then hurls Sidious away and runs because he’s hurt. You gotta remember, Sidious did try to flee from the room and Yoda blocked him, so the way that fight was portrayed really left me scratching my head as to why Yoda would just leave with the stakes so high.

It’s a bit odd, I agree, but I’m willing to accept that he just knew he couldn’t win.

Yeah, Windu won the lightsaber duel, but I was shocked to see the Emperor fighting with a saber at all. But I maintain that if he wanted to kill Windu there, he would have been choking and lightninging him.

He broke out the lightning…Windu reflected it back at him. I’m not convinced that, hand Anakin not intervened, Windu wouldn’t have killed him right then and there.

But then, it is totally like Palpatine to play up his own “weakness” to manipulate Anakin, so I’m sure he did, once Windu had him down.

I meant that he would have used the lightning immediately, not waited until he was down. But no, I think the entire fight was thrown, he could have killed Windu on his own, but he wanted Anakin to help.

I dunno…That lightning has never worked against anyone that knew what he was doing. Obi-Wan and Windu have both blocked it with this sabers now. Hell, Yoda can just absorb the stuff! Lightning is clearly not the way to beat a jedi master.

Now, the choke – maybe.

I thought Yoda was firing lightning back.

Mostly, yeah, but at the end of Ep. 2, he actually absorbs a good bit of it.

But Sidious knew that Anakin was coming. Remember, he could sense Anakin having trouble with Obi-Wan on Mustafar, so he could obviously sense that Anakin was on his way to the senate office. By the way that he blasted Windu in the end, it had to have been a set-up. I think Sidious knew exactly what would happen when he revealed himself to Anakin, which is why he did it when Yoda was off-planet.

I do think that Windu was more powerful than Sidious expected, though, hence the extra force lightning that left him deformed.

I didn’t entirely get that, either. All I can assume is that Yoda realized that the two were too evenly matched for either to really win. Which was actually shown during that lightning showdown that blasted them both back. So Yoda chose to leave, because if he and Sidious killed one another, and Anakin killed Obi-Wan on Mustafar, which was actually pretty likely because of Anakin being so much stronger than Obi-Wan, that would leave no Jedi alive anywhere, and the Sith in control of the galaxy forever.

It made sense for Yoda to take off at that point. What bothers me more is why Yoda and Obi-Wan split up. Why didn’t they take Sidious together, then go after Anakin? It’s not like there was any pressing reason to take out Anakin right away. Sidious was the bigger threat, by far.

Stuff like this bothers me more the day after seeing the movie. Little points like this are so easily fixed. Reasons could have been set up to necessitate Obi-Wan going after Anakin immediately. Just add some great threat, like Yoda sensing danger to Padme from Anakin, which had to be prevented because of some sense that she was yet to play a crucial role in the fate of the Jedi.

Then Obi-Wan could have gotten the Mustafar information from the security system and gone after Anakin without needing to Padme (who would leave for Mustafar on her own, simply because she was worried about Anakin). Obi-Wan arrives on Mustafar right after Padme, and everything else takes place as scripted, perhaps with the addition of a couple of comments from the Obi-Wan/Padme conversation in the Coruscant apartment.

I thought the point of Obi-Wan leaving right away was because he had to stow away on the ship so they could find out where Anakin was. I mean, how could they find out where he went otherwise? Its a top-secret, seperatist hide out.

By the way that he blasted Windu in the end, it had to have been a set-up.

Well, let’s be fair, here…Windu had just had his hand chopped off (losing his lightsaber) by a member of the Jedi Council!!

Cheap shot. Of course Sidious managed to take him out after that.

When anakin did the no look behind the shoulder casual blaster reflection to kill the guard in the federation base, you know who was more badass.

No wonder they were arrogant. 50 droids and a saber wielding robot? no problem, 4 minutes tops.