In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

Canceled = “not coming back for future seasons with additional episodes.”

Did some research. The Red Line was originally ordered as a regular drama series. Once ABC saw the eight episodes they got, they decided it was a limited run series after the fact. That they’re double-pumping episodes nightly for the next month creates the PR opportunity to call it a “miniseries”. A more cynical view: they waited all winter to start airing episodes, and they’re dumping them as a sunk cost in the final month of the season. Sadly, further evidence that CBS is just dumping these: the impossible time slot it got last night, airing up against Game of Thrones, American Idol, and Fox’s Sunday night animation lineup.

That’s a bummer. I’ve really been enjoying AP Bio, and it really felt like it has a good sense of its dynamic and tone. I’ll be sad if that one goes.

APBio was a show the Grim Reaper was wrong about last season (he had it as canceled then, too) so there’s definitely a chance.

It may be some new, star-driven dynamic at work, perhaps that works uniquely for that show’s continued survival–having Patton Oswalt and Glenn Howerton as leads.

I guess with Whiskey Cavalier bombing, Lauren Cohan will be back on the Walking Dead soon.

I’m surprised she was written out in a way that she could return. (The last episode I watched was the one in which Glen and the red-headed guy were killed).

Yeah she went on some kinda field trip or something.

Can one call a show “canceled” if it reached the end of its run and ended on its own?

I actually enjoy Whiskey Cavalier a fair bit, so that’s a bummer. And AP Bio is a damned delight. None of the others surprise me (some of them iirc were ending on their own terms, not being cancelled). Oh, and Lethal Weapon really surprised me as I enjoyed Sean William Scott’s character a lot more than I thought I would, in fact I think I preferred him.

At least Lethal Weapon is in the prediction tweet, not the “already cancelled” tweet.

Whiskey Cavalier is just snakebit. It’s a show that reviews well and that audiences (who see it) like.

But it got bumped off the 2018 fall schedule to the back-end 2019 mid-season schedule for whatever reason. It’s a non-ABC show as far as production goes, and it feels almost like there was a “Who foots the bill for this series?” disagreement somewhere along the line that resulted in the network being less than enthused with everything.

It’s renewal/cancellation week!

Madam Secretary was the one on the bubble.

Yesterday, TV Guide may have accidentally leaked the cancellation of Murphy Brown (not a surprise) and Happy Together (which we knew was cancelled when it wasn’t picked up for a Back Nine.)

Who the hell keeps watching MacGyver?

It’s not a good show?

I eventually watched 2-3 episodes of the first season and it was really bad. Maybe something changed, but I never bothered to stick with it. And I don’t know anyone else who watches.

Still waiting for Orville news, dammit!

How cancellations happen in the modern TV era.

They’d be crazy to not renew it, but crazier things have happened

I’m still watching it. I enjoy it, and I really like the character they added to replace Jack