In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

Peacedog, you just made me very sad because not only do I know a WW reunion of such awesomeness (or any, likely) will never happen, but I also had no idea Roger Rees passed. I loved that guy.

Yeah :(

FWIW we did a thread about it.

My fault for forgetting his actual name. :/

FWIW, the Grinder is probably in “not dead yet” territory. The ordering of six more scripts is at least a sign that FOX hasn’t given up on it yet.

Syfy’s Defiance is dead.

:(

SAD

Also Rookie Blue was cancelled. No season 7. I only watched the first season, it wasn’t that great imho.

Nooo! I love this show! What is wrong with people!

I didn’t love it, but it was decent enough for summer when there wasn’t much new on.

Well…good news I guess.

FOX just gave it and Grandfathered a full season 22-episode order.

What that means, who knows. Grandfathered is pulling 1.0 ratings, which are terrible. The Grinder is even worse, getting 0.9’s and .7’s. Ick. That’s typically cancel-city.

BUT:

FOX is in Ratings Armageddon right now, across the board. They’re getting absolutely punched in the gut seemingly every night right now. Gotham might normally be hearing footsteps, but its 1.5 is like a shining star for FOX at the moment. So…those two shows will at least get a full season run. They’re probably both canceled at that point, but by Spring a .9 might be enough to earn both another year.

I think everyone is a ratings Armageddon lately. At least compared to even 10 years ago.

Well, yeah, no kidding.

The point is that even by today’s standards–not ten years ago standards–they’re pancaking on a number of shows right now.

Looks like The Muppets just got whacked. They got a 3 episode order instead of 9 to make a 22 episode season. That’s usually like getting invited to go fishing with Tony Soprano.

Ouch. Rough business.

Oh no!

It’s a good franchise, and they’re not going anywhere permanent. Maybe the next iteration won’t suck.

It’s interesting to see how PR works in a situation like this. The network folks are saying “Oh, we just only want 3 episodes to accommodate some other programming commitments we have…BUT WE TOTALLY RENEWED the show for a full season!!!”

As always, watch what they do, not what they say. By only taking 3 more episodes, what the network is actually saying is “There will be 6 weeks in the spring where we would rather show something, anything, that isn’t this show.”

The time slot issue sucks and needs to be fixed.
There is no reason that should make or kill a show. Curious to see what kind of content an all streaming future will bring. Then again how would we collectively know what to water cooler? I guess TV would start competing directly against movies and videogames for release dates.

Until/unless the networks all stop using Nielsens, it’s going to continue to operate as it has. The networks have to be comfortable with it, because their affiliates cling desperately to that outmoded method of determining viewership. Since that system favors advertisers, they’re fine with it too. So…it’ll be business as usual until a network is willing to stand up against its own affiliates, which probably isn’t happening for a while yet.

There’s some hope for The Muppets. A press release from back in May describes the show as “limited first season run”. That carries more weight–coming from back then, when the series was first announced as being picked up for the fall season–than it would if someone at ABC described it as “limited run” in mid-October after looking at its fairly bad ratings.

Well I hope The Muppets survives. The first couple of eps were meh, but the last two knocked it out of the park, I felt.