In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

Careful there! Otherwise he’ll track you down and come by your house to slap you!

You are correct. Season 1-2 are still on Epix (which has as of this past January been rebranded MGM+), but Season 3 is not. Seasons 1-3 are all on HBO Max.

Fish?

Brought back from the dead:

Oh damn - they cancelled Reboot? That totally bites.
If anyone missed it, I would still recommend watching it even if it’s a lame duck single season - so much good stuff in there.

I wonder how many episodes a modern network sitcom gets per season these days. Probably nowhere near the twenty-some of yesteryear.

Hard to find but The Big Bang aired 22 in its final season. That was four years ago. That was a premium show, though. The network may have really pushed for that many.

I think around 22 remains the standard for network TV. When a show gets just 13 episodes (like the splendid Home Economics) and doesn’t get “the back nine,” it’s a bad sign.

Not always. Sometimes, they just plan shorter seasons. The Good Place was critically and commercially loved - yet each season only had 13 episodes (although the series finale was a double, which brought the total number of 1/2 hour episodes to 50).

Back in the old days–Gilligan’s Island days–I think 22 was standard. Hiatus around Christmas, and a Summer break. Some programs obviously did othrer thnngs, but it seems most did 22 per year. 3 years to reach syndication.

I never could get past the name of the show because every time I heard or saw it I thought of this:

You’re not the only one. I mean, I got past it but I did yell “Reboot!” at the TV every time my wife and I sat down to watch it.

Shame that Reboot is canceled canceled. Great cast and, especially for a comedy, it really got rolling right out of the gate. And it was well reviewed… probably more of a bummer cause I didn’t really expect it to be canceled.

Crazy how an interesting Reboot gets cancelled and a plodding effort like Night Court gets renewed!

It really is - I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I’m really enjoying Night Court, and I doubt I’m alone (given the renewal).

The viewership must have been really low. You would think Levitan would have a bit more pull to keep things going, but who knows.

Boo, Avenue 5 (the latest Armando Iannucci joint) on HBO was cancelled after two seasons. Another victim of the pandemic I suppose.

Anyone know what’s happening with Evil on Paramount+ or whatever its new name is?

I love Hugh Laurie and I love Iannucci, but Avenue 5 never jelled for me. And by the scale of it, it was easily his most expensive show ever. That starship set was enormous.

I’m pretty sure it was a victim of itself.