In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

The Muppets are too valuable of a property for Disney/ABC to just toss aside like any other dumb dad sitcom.

Maybe just as important to ABC is forging a relationship with Bill Prady…

Good news! Brooklyn 99’s ratings have made it pretty much a shoo-in to be renewed, which seemed likely at the start of the season, but after Mindy Project, neither the bear or the reaper wanted to quite go there.

Bad news! Last Man on Earth is probably in trouble.

And…it’s troubling as well that CW has ordered 3 more scripts for iZombie, but they haven’t ordered–officially–any new shows for the Back 9.

A shame if I’m parsing this correctly. After incessant recommendations from Netflix I finally caved and starting watching this show and really enjoy it.

I’m really surprised that iZombie isn’t able to retain more viewers from The Flash. The target audience seems to be roughly the same (but iZombie goes a little more dark and depressed, as one can imagine when making a show like this). The lead does a really good job playing a different part (personality) every week. It’s “must see” TV for me.

On the flipside, if they can it, it opens a slot in their “grim, but quirky supernatural horror-mystery” department to take the reigns on the Matt Ryan-lead Constantine NBC just canned, right?!

I’d watch that.

I started iZombie, watched and generally enjoyed the pilot, but my son wasn’t into it and I figured I’d just watch it on my own, which has yet to happen. Sounds like folks are digging it though, so maybe I’ll hit Netflix and power through to get caught up.

The Arrow got a nice uptick of viewers the episode that Constantine appeared in. This has sparked a bit of a revival of the Save Constantine movement. If some network decides that those numbers show that they can give Constantine a new home, then it just may have a shot at coming back. I though Constantine really found itself in the last 3rd of its 1st season and would look like to see it get another shot

The Nielsen comparative ratings book just hit the media folks. An interesting piece of data to explain why network execs say they care about streaming…but really don’t actually give a shit and cancel your show anyway:

@mulvihill79 55m55 minutes ago
Use of linear TV beats combined viewing of video on PC/smartphone/tablet by more than 17 to 1

@mulvihill79
Change per person/per day since '14:
TV: -6 minutes
Radio: -3 min
Social: +8 min
PC/Phone/Tablet video: +2 min
Streaming audio: 34 secs.

In other words, network folks hate that you’re watching 6 minutes less regular television in 2015 compared to 2014…but they’re not yet willing to make decisions based on 2 minutes or 34 seconds, either. Especially when you take this into consideration:

@mulvihill79
Avg minutes use per day across US adult pop.:
TV - 279
Radio - 111
Social media - 33
PC/Phone/Tablet video - 16
Streaming audio - 4

Bizarrely, a coworker just attended a social media summit where they claimed the average American watches 5.5 hours of internet video a day. Which struck me as ludicrously wrong and stupid, but that was the actual slide they released.

I’m tempted to assume the TV execs are closer to right, there.

I’d be curious to see those numbers sliced by age groups. Anecdotally those numbers match up a lot better with my parents’ media consumption habits than mine or any of my friends, and we’re the ones that marketers lust over.

The guy who tweeted out those numbers is the Fox Sports Senior VP of Programming and Market Research. He prefaced them by calling them a “reality check”, so I’m guessing the demographic breakdown isn’t quite as big as we’d assume.

Does use of netflix/hbo/hulu/etc on AppleTV, Roku, or whatever count towards TV viewing or PC/Phone/Tablet?

That’s a good point. Technically it’s on the TV, and technically it’s not on a PC, Phone or Tablet. And yet, that’s how I watch 90% of my TV. So both triggercut and Armando’s stats could be true at the same time. No wait. 279 minutes is actually less than 5 hours. So nevermind. They can’t both be true. But you know what I was getting at.

It’s interesting, but I’m assuming that Nielsen’s use of “linear TV” means cable and broadcast networks.

Yeah, that’s kinda why I’m curious. It’s so completely opposite of my experience if AppleTV counts as PC/tablet/phone, but it’s Nielsen, and they’re historically very conservative, so that’s what I’d expect. Thus I end up just thinking, “Wow, that’s not what I expected.”

Technically linear TV doesn’t even include stuff you recorded on your PVR. It’s supposed to be live (as watched, not as recorded) TV.

Also, Nielsen doesn’t properly cover Netflix or Amazon, so…

While I agree, I wonder if “internet video” counts all the various ads that try to run practically everywhere I go on the Intertubes. If that’s the case then they might try to claim that browsing would count, and perhaps count double or triple if there were two or three little ads running on the same page.