In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

Trust me, we were all banging our heads against a wall trying to figure what it meant. My best guess is that the 5-21 crowd are watching Netflix, Youtube, and Twitch simultaneously 10 hrs/day to make up for their grandparents who haven’t changed the channel from EWTN in 17 years and still don’t know what a zemails is.

At this point, though, I think it’s fair to say that advertisers have some data on what their ad dollars bring back, or how they result in “conversion”–meaning revenues generated. And thus, while Nielsen is flawed and has all sorts of problems, I am told by the person who studies them for a living that there is still a higher correlation rate between advertising on highly rated Nielsen shows and advertising in heavily viewed other media formats.

Mike & Molly was probably finished after this season anyway. CBS only gave it a 13-episode winter order as a January-March fill in. That being said, apparently one of the co-stars of the show put up a Facebook post confirming that the Melissa McCarthy sitcom is indeed done after this truncated season.

Used to be my favorite show, until they made it like a Melissa McCarthy movie, but then twitched it back again which made it worthwhile for me once more.

Some real talk re: streaming versus linear TV from Media Village contributor and Needham senior analyst Laura Martin:

In this report we calculate that revenue paid to U.S. TV content companies per person per hour is $0.30 by the Linear TV ecosystem, $0.11 by Netflix globally, $0.03 by YouTube, and $0.01 by MCNs.

…and that’s why advertisers trust Nielsen ratings, still.

I raised the question, via this piece, that this study seems to confirm that cord-cutting will likely be the death of this golden age of television programming. Response from high-muckity muck network TV exec (and buddy of mine): “When we look back at this media era I think we’ll find the #1 reason people left old media is we made it too attractive not to”

TNT: We Know Cancellations!

Agent X , cancelled after 1 season. Anyone watch this? It had Sharon Stone in it. I heard it was so bad it was like some kind of spoof spy show, but was supposed to be serious.

Public Morals, also cancelled after its first season.

But! The Librarians, was renewed for a 3rd seasons, so yay!

I caught one of the ads for it, and I could have sworn I heard “… you report directly to the Vice President” and then just changed the channel.

I just noticed Galavant is coming back in January for a 2nd season! What?!?!! Who renewed that? :p

I also like that their first episode is titled: A New Season aka Suck It Cancellation Bear

I noticed recently at Grim Reaper that CBS hasn’t added Person of Interest to the spring lineup. I believe the season filming is done at this point or it has been underway for awhile. As CBS is on the hook already I found this curious, but I guess they like some of their spring replacements a lot. Or something. Reaper predicts a late spring/summer airing, and it absolutely being the end (already expected).

Yeah, it’s almost like CBS over-renewed, I guess, by bringing back Hawaii Five-O, Good Wife, and Blue Bloods all for this season as hourlong dramas. They’re going to plug person of interest in somewhere and just let what they’ve got air and that’s it. Seems like a rather shabby way to treat fans of the show.

Maybe they were expecting more of the new lineup not to work out? Person of Interest was a hedge against too many new shows/faltering returns going to pieces? Who knows.

As long as we get to see it I will be happy. I’m fairly confident Person of Interest would have been a superior series in 13 ep format anyway. Though every now and again I would see a “solidly done” procedural ep that will have 5-8 minutes of awesomeness that makes me say “so glad that all just happened that way”. Still think you could do that sort of thing in a shorter season, lose the true filler, and then avoid the issues that crop up when you try to tell longer, more complicated stories over a broken up 22-23 episode season. The first half of season 3 went from very good to amazing very quickly and ended with 3 pretty terrific eps. The show then entered into the traditional “ok we have two separate sweeps months and a longer range of time to cover with only ~12 eps, so we’re going to break up the air date all over the place” spring phase and it hurt momentum. the second half of the season was good when it wasn’t mostly isolated procedural stuff, but I was glued to the TV in the first half (couldn’t even save episodes to watch later, and couldn’t get to bed before midnight after they ended). I’m rambling, but Person of Interest will do that.

Triggercut, is there a detailed version of that report available anywhere (to non-clients/press). I mean, I guess I am press, but not for this sector.

There technically isn’t, but when she sent it to my friend and he forwarded it to me, I can’t help but notice that she put “Plz share” in the email header. ;)

Hit me up with an email address and I’ll forward it to you, as long as you don’t say where you got it from if you report on it!

Scream Queens manages to get renewed, mostly on the fact that FOX is taking an absolute stinking dump in the prime time ratings sector…Empire excepted.

On the flipside, Heroes Reborn is already toast. Apparently, that’s not much of a loss, from what I’ve read.

Yay! Playing House is getting a season 3!

It started out okay, but the most recent episode seemed pretty forced. However, we had just binged our way through Continuum in the middle of this which was a real fun show overall which likely tainted our view. The most annoying thing is that it won’t be wrapped up appropriately.

Continuum was actually cancelled at one point and they managed to come up with a short season budget plan that won the show the opportunity to provide a small bit of closure. Because they only had 6 episodes to work with a lot of threads got dropped and they focused on the main cast and plot line. In the end we did get closure but it came off a bit rushed and disjointed. Still, Im glad they got the chance to close it out.

Sorry, right - I meant it is too bad that Heroes Reborn won’t be wrapped up. They got the plug pulled without enough episodes to even try to wrap anything up. Main reason for watching Reborn was because it has ‘Chuck’ in it anyway.