In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

ah Yeah, Heroes Reborn wont get the wrap up it needs. Honestly they started the series out so scattered that there was little hope that they could pull the effort off. When they introduced video game grrl, it didnt just jump the shark, it jumped the orca. I stayed on for a few more episodes but it just wasnt working for me.

Yeah, Heroes Reborn feels like a chore to keep up with instead of being a show I look forward too. I don’t know if it’s the characters or what, I can’t put my finger on it (the performances all feel fine, but I didn’t like some of the stories).

I hated Scream Queens, but my daughter loved it so I watched it with her. It’s one of those shows when I’m in the middle of watching it, it’s fine and I even liked it, but when I’m NOT watching it, I fucking hate it. I was hoping I was free of it.

So is American Crime getting better ratings this year than last? It’s very good TV, but the subject matter is rather heavy.

I can put my finger on it: the writing is god-awful. The plot makes no sense, the characters are uneven from week to week depending on what the awful plot requires of them, all the running around is pointless, and the dialogue is cringe-worthy. I mean even simple little details, like the final scene two weeks ago, where they showed three cars all driving to Odessa, and listed the distances they needed to go. IIRC, one of them was over 1100 miles to drive, and they needed to be in Odessa by mid-day the next day. And it was late night. So they need to drive over 100 mph to get there. Just how stupid do they think their audience is?

Heroes Reborn annoys me because they sold it as a one-shot mini-series, but it turned out to be…not that. A one-shot needs to be brisk, well written and driving towards an end goal. Heroes Reborn was none of those things. Felt more like they were trying to establish another multi-year franchise. I gave up pretty early in the season when it started meandering without direction.

Both of these things nail it, I think. I don’t think I’ll bother watching the last few episodes.

And ICYMI, tonight we had a show actually cancelled during a Super Bowl ad–CBS announced that this was the final season of The Good Wife, which has been tanking badly in the ratings without Josh Charles.

Hopefully all involved got a heads-up prior to the commercial airing.

Was it really announced via the ad? For some reason I thought they announced this was the last season earlier. The last three season have been brillian this season has definitely slipped.

It really was announced in the commercial that aired in the second quarter.

My friends that watch the show said the writing was on the wall for a while, and while this was the first official announcement, anyone with even a little interest in the show knew this was coming since at least the upfronts. So I really doubt anyone actually involved with the show was caught off guard.

Oh, yeah, absolutely it was on the outs. The Grim Reaper had it listed as “certain to be canceled” already, based on its fractional ratings this season thus far.

The show runners had already announced they were leaving at the end of the season no matter what.

Got to say I am really enjoying Mike and Molly this season. It’s a lot like the original couple of seasons. Sad it’s going.

A few posts here pointed out the problems that plagued Heroes Reborn, and I totally agree with them. But still, I really like the franchise as there are just so many possibilities to the stories, both at the level of individual characters and for the overall storyline and mythology. I still hope that Tim Kring and team will have a chance to continue with the series one way or another.

Angel from Hell (new Jane Lynch comedy which started in January) played 5 episodes and is done. It started airing January 7 and was canceled on February 8. I didn’t think it was all that bad, but they pretty much had nowhere to go with the premise after the first episode.

Agent Carter is also almost sure to be canceled. Refreshingly the producers of the show actually acknowledge that fact, rather than stringing fans who want to believe any good news with nonsense about saving it (cough, Constantine, cough.)

I watched it for her performance and for Maggie Lawson (formerly of psych) and enjoyed it, but yeah, not the strongest sitcom out there.

Seems like that’s been the assumption for long enough that I’m a little disappointed they didn’t give the series more closure.

Quantico gets a second season, although that seems based on its early ratings and not dismal recent performance.

Last Man on Earth is probably d0med, sadly.

Weirdly somebody has apparently kicked up a rumor it’s sticking around somehow (amidst what will be four possible Marvel properties in ABC). No good source mentioned, so it’s probably best a big blog circlejerk, but I guess we’ll see in May??