In which I speak favorably of the Kodak Scanza

I have need to scan in a metric ton of slides. My dad shot slide film primarily, and I want to digitize them. I had a few hundred I wanted to scan as well.

After doing a lot of research that didn’t really lead me anywhere, I ended up deciding that the Kodak Scanza looked like it was a decent shot. It came this weekend and I scanned about 130 slides.

I am very happy with it. There are a variety of trays you put the media in. It can scan film as well as slides. I can’t bulk feed them, which was one of my requirements, but I couldn’t find a scanner in a price range that bulk feed them. Getting them in the tray is time consuming, but when I got a system down ti went fast. It probably took me half an hour to scan in 135 slides.

The quality is very good. I just wanted a digital copy of the slides, and I am very satisfied with the results. The scanner was about $160, and I think it is a good value for the money.

I was in the market for just such a device a while back. Then I found out that the boxes of slides I had, or thought I had, really weren’t the slides I was looking for, the ones I shot back in the '80s. Sigh.

Thanks for the recommendation. Might have to get one of those at some point down the road.

Isn’t there a service that will do it for you?

For the money, it was easier to do it myself. My dad at least had things labeled so I can scan a box, put it in a folder with the proper name, and then do a final sort later.