In Which North Carolina Strives to Create an American Christian Caliphate

You’ll be doing God’s work!

That guy is such an obvious tool. Imagine how dumb you need to be to look at that and say, “that’s my kind of representative.”

I’m guessing you haven’t been to eastern North Carolina.

NPR:

We’re like the fun epicenter of GOP corruption! Whee!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-05/ex-congressman-s-russian-bank-loses-license-for-money-laundering

A regional Russian bank owned by a former U.S. congressman had its license revoked Friday for violations that included breaking rules against money laundering.

Commercial Bank of Ivanovo, in which Republican former North Carolina Representative Charles Taylor owns an 80 percent stake, regularly broke anti-money laundering regulations, misrepresented the size of its provisions and used “schemes” to artificially inflate its capital, according to a central bank statement.

I find this truly funny.

(McCrae Dowless is at the center of the NC voter fraud investigation)

He must be concerned that he may be considered a felon in the near-future.

For the love of god tell me he wasn’t turning in absentee ballots.

He’s just following the old mantra: Vote Early, Vote Often.

At least in NC he’ll be able to vote again in a few years when he’s off parole.

How is that guy not already under arrest?

That’s a great question, wasn’t he charged with a crime? A federal crime at that?

You don’t lose your right to vote until conviction.

Hey, take it to the…whatever thread is currently getting derailed by this topic.

As soon as I saw that headline I thought, “what about Brooklyn?” They did cover that in the article though. It’s certainly happening here as well in Charlotte. It’s part of them bringing neighborhoods back that are closer to the city or in very ideal locations relative to it. Good or bad, neighborhoods get revitalized a lot so though I feel for the original residents and their rising property taxes, the flip side is they can hopefully leverage their home sale or stay and enjoy the perks of the revitalization project.

Yeah it’s a complicated issue, but we’ve also talked about the evils of redlining, neighborhood segregation, and lack of investment in minority communities.

This looks like the exact opposite to those problems. We have diversification, desegregation, and investment in historically minority communities. Like I get that this may be specifically bad for some, but the current situation was generally bad for many.

The map in the NYT article is fascinating. I looked at Richmond, VA, where we’re thinking of moving to sometime. If you look at Richmond houses on Redfin, you’ll see a massive amount of renovations going on, I mean you’ll see 20 houses in the listing that all look very similar (sort of a foursquare house) - they’ve all been renovated to have open floorplans, gray walls, white trim, fireplaces boarded up… it’s as though all the renovators in the city are using the exact same gameplan. It wouldn’t surprise me because there is block after block of identical houses in the inner parts of the city (like someone stamped out a bajillion identical houses - there must have been some massive building going on in the 1920s).

From the outside it seems like a massive wave of gentrification - and that’s borne out by the map. If you look at Richmond on that map, all of the center parts of the city are diversifying by adding white people. And a larger ring around the city is diversifying by adding more black people. It’s an interesting phenomenon (and I can’t tell if it’s good or bad - certainly lower income people in the inner city are being displaced, but it’s unclear to me that they’re going to the more “suburban” parts of Richmond… I mean, the suburbs in Richmond aren’t expensive but they’re probably cheaper than the inner city is - but if people aren’t moving there, then where are they going?).

My son lives in a lower-income part of Richmond in one of these (unrenovated) houses - and on his block alone there are 3 houses being renovated - 2 across the street and one down a few from him. He said when they moved in a year ago he and his 3 roommates were the only white guys on the block - the rest of the block was long-established black families. I would not be shocked if in 3 years the block is half black and half white, with the white families all living in these mass-renovated houses.