Incorporating D.C. and Puerto Rico into the Union

Yeah, I think this is going to be really hard. I mean, we’re in the middle of a pandemic and we can’t get a lot of these same people to wear a mask because they think it will make them sick from breathing their “exhaust” or believe it’s an issue of government tyranny thanks to Fox News and others in RWM. I mean if we can’t get them to wear masks during a pandemic, I don’t begin to know how to message something as complicated as healthcare reform or a difficult transition to a new economy.

One thing I think we can and should do long-term is education. The lack of critical thinking skills of Americans is downright frightening and tragic and I think is the root of a lot of our problems.

Uh, I just realized this was the D.C. / Puerto Rico thread. Sorry.

The GOP has had almost my entire life to come up with a better health care system. What they have done, instead, is oppose any attempt to expand access and make it more affordable. If there are some people who have not learned yet that the GOP’s actual view on health care is people who get sick and can’t afford a doctor should get better quickly or fucking die, those people will never learn it.

Is this opposite day when Timex is the one with the radical progressive idea?

You have to fight fire with fire right now- when you’re dealing with outright fascists, you can’t afford to be soft.

While your post sounds great, we can’t do any of this without having control of all 3 branches of government because republicans and their minions use misinformation to block and obstruct progress. What makes sense to you and I will only enrage a Ted Cruzer who wants to make himself president some day and be center news all the time. We have active inferference from Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, OAN, and the bajillion conservative (free) print and radio shows.

It doesn’t matter how well we try to educate them Timex, all those news services rely on conflict and anger to survive. As we’ve already seen, they’d rather watch their constituency die than pull turn off gasoline for good.