Incredibles 2 - Suit Up, It Might Get Weird

I wouldn’t use the word negligent, as I have said repeatedly. They could have asked the foundation if they thought the scene might cause concerns. That’s it. The foundation would actually like them to do a little more than they have and post warnings digitally.

You’re losing me on some specifics of the words you’re using here, but okay, I see what you’re saying, and I view it very differently, but I think we’re close enough to understanding. Thanks for the clarification.

Just a courtesy, not as a requirement. I don’t know if you’ve seen the movie, but i don’t how anyone aware of this issue would look at that scene, even this one pattern in more than one scene, and not think they maybe we should check with The Epilepsy Foundation and see if they think this is worth a warning to anyone concerned about it. I am assuming they did not do that because if the foundation had been reached out to it seems like the polite thing to do would have been to say yeah Disney/Pixar reached out to us, we didn’t think it was an issue but since so many are concerned, despite lack of any reports of a problem, we’re suggesting they do the warning anyway.

I’ve seen the movie, I just don’t know enough about epilepsy to know if it would be a problem. I obviously see why someone who, like myself, doesn’t really understand specifics of epilepsy might wonder about it. But the very little I’ve read indicates it can be very specific frequencies, colors, and durations that can trigger this sort of thing.

From my position of ignorance, I assume—not specific to this movie—that there are scenes that could be problematic for epileptics that wouldn’t occur to me to be dangerous, and also the reverse, scenes that might have flashing lights or something but that in fact occur in frequencies or ways that aren’t really problems.

So I just figured everyone—any organization—can make a mistake, but given the size and experience of an organization like Disney, it’s more likely than not that they did consider the risk and determined it wasn’t significant. Whether they specifically reached out to the Epilepsy Foundation would not have occurred to me, because I’m sure there are a host of medical experts Disney could’ve consulted with outside of that.

They could have done that I suppose although I don’t know why they wouldn’t say that, yeah we checked but here are the warnings you asked for because it’s a piece of paper on a window and door at theater, low key request.

I rationalize that if they believe there is insufficient risk of danger, they have no reason to bring it up, but now that it’s a national story, the least controversial move to such a low key request is to comply without trying to sound defensive.

And yeah, I could still be wrong on any of those specific points of my theory. I guess this is just me fleshing out my own response. You don’t know why they didn’t ask the Epilepsy Foundation, and I don’t know why either, but this is the thought process I went through for a possible explanation.

When I watched it I thought “hmm I wonder why they didn’t warn people.” I then just assumed that maybe there is a specific frequency or something that triggers an epileptic reaction and that Disney just set theirs to a comfortable buffer away from that frequency to make sure its safe. Because like @WhollySchmidt its such an obvious concern that there is no way a company as big as Disney would overlook something that glaring.

By the way, I’m surprised no one has mentioned the short film that precedes the movie, Bao. Delightful, touching, weirdly wonderful.

It was also heartbreaking, like super emotional, very well done.

Yeah I lost it watching Bao. And then maybe a couple of times during the movie. I’m getting to be a big baby.

Me too. Watched Coco with the kids over the weekend and was leaking profusely at the end.

Apparently having kids turned me into a sap.

Coco killed me. I’m a ghost now.

Edit: the running away scene in Inside Out actually is probably my biggest trigger. I think. I bury this shit and forget it until I watch it again. :D

I liked Bao but wasn’t quite as moved by it as you guys. The relationship montage in Up though gets me every time.

I really want to see this, but as a single man without children, I’ve reached the point in my life where I just feel weird going to see an animated film in the theater. I’ll have te wait until it hits Netflix or Amazon.

You shouldn’t feel weird. Also it was super crowded when I went so you wouldn’t even be noticed.

I have not seen the film, but I was watching something in the theater yesterday that had the trailer for it, and in the trailer there is some bad guy that takes over the televisions, and they show the guys in the TV control room and there is definitely an intense strobe thing going on with all the distorted test patterns. I would think the professionals and producers reviewing the film would have noticed that. Pokémon happened long ago: (20+ years to be exact)

Yeah, that’s the one that never fails to get me, it’s designed by some horrible monster to yank mercilessly at your heart.

These theaters are packed with families and kids and singles… you’ll blend right in. I don’t think it’s as socially awkward to go to the movies alone anymore although you might be able to find a movie buddy.

Oh, I almost exclusively see movies alone, so that in and of itself doesn’t bother me. I’ve just started feeling weird about seeing animated movies (or, more accurately, films targeted towards children) by myself. It probably doesn’t help that when I go to the movies, I generally see the earliest screening available on the weekend, so there aren’t a ton of other single adults in those showings.

Target to children. bah. These movies do so well because they cater to adults so well too. I plan on seeing animated movies until I die, even if I have to get some young kid to wheel me around the place and fetch me popcorn. They have volunteers for that right ? :-)

Yeah those 10AM times can be a bit of a ghost town for sure.