Independence Day 2 - Welcome back to erf

Opening in theaters on June 24, 2016, Independence Day 2 stars Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Liam Hemsworth, Maika Monroe, Jessie Usher, Joey King, Sela Ward, Brent Spiner, Vivica A. Fox, William Fichtner, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and Judd Hirsch.

Revealed at the promo licensing expo.

I can’t believe it’s been almost twenty years since the first one came out. I’m glad they brought back Jeff Goldblum, but my expectations for this are really low.

Go, Maika Monroe and William Fichtner! As for everything else, eh, whatevs.

-Tom

Didn’t Brent Spiner die in the first one?

Maybe he just Borged up.

So… just as good as the original?

This time he is an android. :p

This time they don’t bother with the virus, they just install iTunes on the aliens’ computers.

I am so confused about this.

It’s pretty simple to explain. iTunes is so shit, it is basically a virus that will destroy or grind to a halt any computer system on which it is installed, thereby so seriously inhibiting the aliens as to cause their invasion to fail.

:D

Also we know the aliens’ computers use MacOS.

See, the joke is that aliens from another world, who have mastered interstellar travel, would have a computer system that can be hacked by a human with a Mac. Wake up sheeple! The 1996 Powerbook 5300 didn’t even have firewire!

Bahahahah, I mean the existence of the movie at all, but okay, sure! ;)

I say, you gotta admire a species that can have 80% of it’s major population centers and 90% of it’s military wiped out, and have them bounce back with ginormous hangers chock-full of super advanced and reverse engineered space fighters just sitting in readiness for the next possible big day. Kind of makes sense, if maybe back in 1996 scientists all lived in remote mountain caves and not city centers, and that by wiping out most cities, the ratio of cows to people is so high, you can free everyone left on earth from poverty and hunger, and have them welding space craft 24/7.

That trailer didn’t do anything for me.

Not feeling it either. The aliens are back with a bigger ship, whoopeedeedoo. I think one of the aspects that made ID4 work was that the premise was intriguing, i.e. what would happen if hostile aliens showed up tomorrow and we had to fight them with our present technology. The sequel has that sci-fi touch to it now that mankind adapted alien technology and built corresponding weapons and vehicles. (It makes sense within the movie’s universe. After all, it would be weird if 20 years had passed without them doing R&D. Still, I don’t find it particularly interesting.)

What also factors in is that the big action pieces simply can’t impress that much anymore now that everything can be easily done with CGI. 20 years ago it was a bit of a feat to have whole cities leveled to to the ground and massive air battles. Emmerich, famously, used tons of practical effects and model work. ID4 had that first teaser which basically consisted of nothing but the cars being blown away by the blast wave in NYC. It was an utterly remarkable scene way back. Nowadays, not so much.

Disclaimer: I know that ID4 has lots of flaws. There’s tons of cringeworthy dialog and ham in the script, some of the actors involved tends to chew the scenery, and the children actors are bad. (I’m blaming Emmerich, not them.) And yet I find it super-watchable and have seen it again and again and always enjoyed it. Goldblum and Smith really carried that movie.

Meh. I wish the resources for this had been put into an adaptation of Worldwar instead. That’s how you do aliens-come-to-Earth.

Child actors are always bad*. Can we please have more movies with only adults?

• Or creepy as all fucking shit. Seriously, horror movies. Cut that shit out.

I’m not terribly impressed, either. The massive dogfight scenes look like an attempt to cash in on Star Wars, but it’s all so obviously CG. The first movie obviously had some CG, but quite a bit of it was more practical effects and models. This just looks like MOTS kinda stuff we see every week in the cineplex these days.