Indiana Jones 5 and the Inevitable Hopelessness of it All

I wonder if Shia is in or out

Heā€™s definitely out.

This just feels like such an epicly terrible idea. What a waste of money and talent. Not Harrison Ford, of course, heā€™s become a total hack, but Steven Spielberg shouldnā€™t be wasting his time on this crap.

Thatā€™s a good angle. Spielberg only has X more movies left in him and yeah Iā€™d rather see him do something in, say, a Munich or Bridge of Spies mode, or even War of the Worlds.

I would too, but the studios would take an Indy 6 over Munich any day.

Of course it comes down to cash from their POV. Not necessarily Spielbergā€™s, as he has enough money. But I perhaps he enjoys making the Indiana Jones movies. Maybe lets him blow off steam between ā€˜seriousā€™ efforts. Also itā€™s still a collaboration between him and Lucas, right? Crack open a few beers, brainstorm a dumb story with David Koepp or Larry Kasdan, party like itā€™s 1979!

Here we are, 10 years after this thread was created, 12 years after the last Indiana Jones movie, which was total garbage, and weā€™re still apparently going to be spoon-fed another helping.

Harrison Ford will be nearly 80 if the movie somehow comes out next year. This isnā€™t entertainment, itā€™s elder abuse.

Crystal Skull is a fine movie. Watch it again.

As I recall itā€™s a hot mess benefiting from Spielbergā€™s never less than competent direction. But itā€™s been a dozen years so who knows.

Jesus, a dozen yearsā€¦

I will be there day 1, Iā€™ve rewatched KotCS and its got good moments.

My goodness, 12 years ago. It still feels pretty fresh in my mind. I wonā€™t say it is a fresh pile of shit, just a fresh pile of meh.

Replying to a decade-old comment to say that while itā€™s true that the scene in question was probably the best in the film (despite the whole reasoning behind it being totally asinine), the burning train scene has stuck with me despite having only ever seen the movie once, in the theater. Although having just rewatched it it wasnā€™t quite as haunting as I recall. I would have done one angle on it from the watchersā€™ perspective, but hey Iā€™m not Spielberg!

Still havenā€™t seen it. I keep forgetting it exists.

On behalf of the QT3 community, and the human race in general, Iā€™d like to apologize for reminding you.

I would like to see a film with old Indy sitting in a rocking chair in front of his house whipping youngsters who step on his lawn. Clint Eastwood can play his neighbour and confidente.

That Iā€™d pay to see.

The old Indy played by George Hall in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was 93 (Indiana was born in 1899), so that gives Harrison another 15 years before Indy reaches that part of his life. Doubt that show is canon anymore otherwise they should show Indy losing his eye during the next movieā€¦

Looking at the timeline, Indy 5 would need to be set during the late 70s (or early 80s if they canā€™t get going within the next 2 yearsā€¦)

EDIT: BTW Someone edited together all the old indy clips on youtubeā€¦

Thanks for looking that up and doing the math! Iā€™d like to think itā€™s still as canon as, say, Lucasfilmā€™s ā€œEwoks: Caravan of Courageā€, but in this new Disney universe, who can say?

Thereā€™s still plenty of opportunity for pulpy two-fisted adventure!

Indiana Jones and the Crisis of Gas
Indiana Jones and the Dog That Said Kill
Indiana Jones and the Glittery Discotheque
Indiana Jones and Platoā€™s Retreat
Indiana Jones and the Revocation of Tenure
Indiana Jones and the Phoenix River
Indiana Jones and the Star Wars Premiere
Indiana Jones and the Economic Malaise
Indiana Jones and the Persian Hostages

And the eye-specific ones:
Indiana Jones and the Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei
Indiana Jones and the Eye Gouging Machine
Indiana Jones and the Sacrifice of Odin

There was already something really disturbing about watching Indiana Jones shuffle about like an old man in The Crystal Skull and that was what 12 years ago. What are they going for this time: ā€œIndiana Jones and the Sapphire Wheelchairā€?

Itā€™s time for a reboot already. I love Harrison Ford but heā€™s categorically ā€œtoo old for this shitā€.

Or, heaven forbid, let an IP come to a graceful end, and DONā€™T reboot?