Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

So it is it is unveiled at last.

Aside from the pragmatic paranoia drawn from Lucas’ personal involvement, any reason to panic yet? Time period? Plot? Or are you genuinely excited?

It’s got Ray Winstone in it as his sidekick!

I don’t see how that much at least can not be awesome.

That’s a horrible title for an Indy movie. Yes, even worse than ‘Temple of Doom’, I think.

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but my excitement for a fourth Indiana Jones film evaporated sometime between ‘Random Hearts’ and ‘Six Days Seven Nights’. Harrison Ford just got too old, yet, like Sean Connery before him, just didn’t seem to want to accept it. See: Creepy mid-life earring, Callista Flockhart, Lara Flynn Boyle. In movies, his performances were descending into self-parody (though not to the point of comedy. See: Hollywood Homicide. Or don’t.). It also seemed as if the other drivers of the franchise were too busy to be bothered, what with those Star Wars prequels and the Tom Cruise sci-fi movies.

I’ll definitely be watching it on the first day, but it’s going to take a really mind-blowing trailer to get me excited about this.

EDIT: ‘Crystal Skull’ makes me think of the opening to Ripley’s Believe It or Not!, hosted by Jack Palance. That’s a good thing.

wtf? temple of doom was a great title, this is shlock pulp!

Apparently they printed up an AICN talkback and threw a dart.

Actually, I wish that were true, because it would mean the possibility of Indiana Jones and the Horn of Mylanta being chosen instead.

According to TheRaider.net, Lucasfilm filed six titles with the MPAA:
-Indiana Jones and the City of Gods
-Indiana Jones and the Destroyer of Worlds
-Indiana Jones and the Fourth Corner of the Earth
-Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Gold
-Indiana Jones and the Quest for the Covenant

In that light, I guess I was too harsh on Temple of Doom.

Fixed.

I kinda like “The Fourth Corner of the Earth”.

“The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” on the other hand, just flat sucks as a title.

“Lost City of Gold” is okay, but didn’t Allan Quartermain already visit that?

Indiana Jones in the Land of Yik-Yak

Indiana Jones and the Great Train Robbery.

They need to bring back Short Round. He should be like 36 by now, right? Last I heard he was a martial arts fight choreographer for films, which would be totally awesome incorporated back into his character from the Temple of Doom.

It’s set in the 1950’s at least, so we don’t have to pretend that Indy is 35-40 years old. We can pretend that he’s 50. If Ford works himself into shape, he can do ok.

I agree, though, that the title is bad. Too long.

Indiana Jones and The Flight Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

Indiana Jones and The Tree Growing In Brooklyn

Indiana Jones and Menace to South Central While Kali Drinks Juice in the Hood

Indiana Jones and the Elaborate system of lower back pain trusses.

Indiana Jones and the Great Brain Robbery.

Crazy to think that if they were following the actual timeline this would be taking place at around the time the first film premiered.

Exactly! Indy is all about that pulp vibe.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (?)

Maybe it’ll sound better after we get used to it, but for now it sounds kind of awkward.

• Alan

The problem with the title is that it doesn’t make sense. What is a Kingdom of a Crystal Skull anyway? This doesn’t conjure any images in my mind, except, perhaps, for a glass translucent skull on a podium.