INDIANA JONES ON DVD.l.. I CAN HARDLY ... WAIT... YES I CAN

Dr. Jones is coming to DVD 11/4 as a 4 disc pack. I have to say I am really mad. After waiting 6 years for these films on dvd, they aren’t putting anything on them. No commentary, No DTS, No DOLBY DIGITAL ES which would utilize 6.1 and up sound systems. Hell, at the very least they should go in and remove the reflection of the snake in raiders! Raiders is my favorite movie of all time, and I think it deserves a little more than just a movie only option on dvd. Yes, I am aware of a 4th disc of extras, but I have a feeling it will not do this series justice. I wish Lucas and Spielberg would get off their thrones and take note from other films (LOTR DVD). I understand Spielberg’s view of no commentary, because he wants you to watch the film, but come on. This does not bode well for the release of STAR WARS on dvd :evil: :evil:

After thinking about how cool it would be to have Lucas and Spielberg and Ford doing a commentary like the commentary for Ghostbusters, I realized just how boring those guys would be. Maybe it’s a good thing.

Probably you’ll just have to wait for the Ultimate Platinum Special Collector’s Deluxe 20th Anniversary Edition. :roll:

• Alan

I’m one of those people who doesn’t give a hoot in hell for any of that extra stuff on DVDs. I pretty much just want the widescreen movie, deleted scenes, and maybe the original trailers or something. There’s alot of funny things in commentaries and such and they are cool, but if I don’t have to pay for them I won’t.

Incidently, would it hurt these fucks to integrate deleted scenes INTO THE FILM where they would have been originally? “Tombstone” does this and it’s really cool to see the movie in order with those scenes in and then without. I’m thinking it takes all of 5 seconds to hax0r that into the DVD menu. But god forbid we take time away from the fucking Taiwanese translation for something like this.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The problem with inserting deleted scenes with the final version of the film is that often the deleted scenes were cut early in editing, so they look like crap (they never went through the polishing of post-production) and they were never scored with music or a gazillion other things.

It’s only when the studio is willing to foot the $$ to actually treat deleted scenes like they were actually part of the rest of the film does integrating them work.

It’s only when the studio is willing to foot the $$ to actually treat deleted scenes like they were actually part of the rest of the film does integrating them work.

Not only that but remember that these scenes were deleted for reason. Movies are usually better without them unless the director didn’t get the cut he wanted (which certainly isn’t the case with the Indy films).

As far as extras on the Indy movies, there probably isn’t much to put there. These movies were never subject to a lot of controversy or interesting creative differences nor is there a lot of interesting subtext to reflect on. There is going to be a three hour doc on the DVD that should cover everything of interest (ie- Lucas and Speilberg drawing inspiration from 30s serials, controversy behind Temple of Doom’s rating, etc).

I wish Lucas and Spielberg would get off their thrones and take note from other films (LOTR DVD).

Remember, DVD content is created along with most major features today. Peter Jackson was planning the LOTR special editions all along while making LOTR. This wasn’t the case over twenty years ago so there is probably little archival footage left. As for Spielberg commentaries- get over it. If he ever does one it will be Schindler’s List not Indiana Jones.

Personally I’m happy to be getting the movies with fully restored pictures and remastered sound.

I take it they won’t be sold individually? (At first? Ever?). I only really want the first one. Also, is the first one now named: Indiana Jones & the Raiders of the Lost Ark? I love that retitle. So necessary. Nice to see that Spielberg and Lucas think I’m stupid. Oh, any truth to the rumor that Spielberg has “spiffed up” the FX? I’m really hoping to see Nazi’s holding flashlights and Marion drinking milk in the drinking contest.

Sigh. I really love that first movie but I’m really apprehensive about how Spielberg and Lucas are approaching DVD. I’ve read in EW that Lucas plans to only release the Star Wars trilogy in Special Edition format. Bah.

Me too. Raiders of the Lost Ark may well be the best action movie ever made (it ties with Star Wars, at least), but the movies got progressively worse after that. I thought Temple of Doom still had a lot of the Raiders style (with weaker writing and characters, and a less interesting story), but Last Crusade was a terrible movie that tried so hard not to take itself seriously that it degenerated into cheap slapstick.

Also, is the first one now named: Indiana Jones & the Raiders of the Lost Ark? I love that retitle. So necessary. Nice to see that Spielberg and Lucas think I’m stupid.

It worked so well with Star Wars: A New Hope. Oh, wait–no it didn’t.

Sigh. I really love that first movie but I’m really apprehensive about how Spielberg and Lucas are approaching DVD. I’ve read in EW that Lucas plans to only release the Star Wars trilogy in Special Edition format. Bah.

That’s really too bad. I like some of the subtle changes in the SE–touched up f/x and the like–but most of the added scenes are unnecessary, and a few (Greedo shooting first) are practically sacrilege. At worst, I’d like to get both the unadulterated originals and the SE versions for each of the films. I don’t even have the originals on tape any more; it’s sort of sad to think that I may never see the real Star Wars of my childhood ever again.

Yeah, yeah, I know: fuck Star Wars.

Oh, any truth to the rumor that Spielberg has “spiffed up” the FX? I’m really hoping to see Nazi’s holding flashlights and Marion drinking milk in the drinking contest.

Nope, everything is as originally released. You can even see the famous reflection of the snake in Raiders. People give Spielberg a lot of shit for the changes to ET (can’t say I like them myself) but both versions were released on DVD so I can’t see why people complain. Lucas on the other hand…

As for the new title on Raiders, it will likely appear only on the DVD cover not in the film itself. The 1999 VHS rerelease had the new title on the box but it was not altered in the movie.

Supposedly Lucasfilm/Spielberg and Paramount had issues over whether to release the films individually or only in a box set. Lucas/Spielberg wanted them available individually but it looks like Paramount won. I would expect the individual movies will appear prior to the release of Indy 4 in 2005.

Now it’s my turn to say “Me too.” Raiders had it all man. Cool hero who was still mysterious. Restrained humor. John Rhys-Davis and Alfred Molina. Bad-ass girlfriend/heroine. Cool evil French rival archeologist. Scary asian assassin. Bald guy meets propeller! Snakes. “Nazis… I hate these guys.” A whip and a pistol. And a killer melancholy/futile ending… the warehouse (spoiler?).

For my money the first 15 minutes of Raiders beats the rest of that film. Sublime. When the set comes out I’ll try and find just the first one on eBay. Oh and Sones? I have the widescreen VHS of the non-rejiggered “A New Hope” if you’d like to borrow/try and copy it.

Sword Guy meets pistol. That is a classic movie moment if there ever was one.

I like the extra stuff, but with these movies, it’s their availability on DVD that’s paramount.

(heheh)

Frankly, I’d take Star Wars discs with NOTHING but a good 5.1 transfer if Lucas would just offer DVDs with the versions I saw as a kid.

I’m happy these are coming out now, rather than the Star Wars situation where Lucas refuses to release the discs because he wants to add all these extras and commentaries. (How much is left to be said about the production of a movie that has had a fanatical following for 25 years?)

That will never happen. Lucas has said on a number of occasions that the Special Edition is Star Wars. As far as he’s concerned the originals are a rough draft and not worth considering. In order to get those on DVD he’d pretty much have to admit that he was wrong, and you know George hates him some admitting he’s wrong. :roll:

Whats with the Last Crusade hatin’? Young Indy? Rats? Junior? No Ticket? Fly Yes, Land No?

Bah.

Ever see the Aeon Flux version? Classicer.

Totally, the first was the best, but the other two didn’t suck. They’re certainly worth owning on DVD. Besides, the price will probably be like $40 for the whole shebang, same as BttF. Not bad if you ask me.

Don’t be hatin’!! :)

Yea, I love the Last Crusade and Raiders equally. Indiana Jones is one of my favourite trilogies. EVER.

I wish Harry was young again for Indy4.

I don’t think I was ever more disappointed in a movie than when I went to see Temple of Doom. Just non-stop stunts with none of the character and dialogue of Raiders. I thought Last Crusade was actually a little bit better, as it got back to more character development and dialogue, but as Ben said, it was so over-the-top as to be absurd. It’s like Lucas looked back at Raiders and felt that the only thing that worked was the pistol scene with the sword-twirling Arab (which actually is possible, when you see just how divorced from reality the guy is in those special features on the Phantom Menace DVD). So we got nothing but cornball scenes like that for two whole movies.

For about five years there in the late 80s and early 90s, we didn’t get any sci-fi/horror without this wink-wink crap, that seemed to be there for the express purpose of the film creators telling us that they knew such movies were beneath them. A lot of this struck me as contempt for the audience. I mean, look at Last Crusade and Star Treks V and VI.

As for the Star Wars on DVD thing, count yourself lucky that we don’t get Special Special Editions, with all sorts of crap added to tie into the nightmare that is the first trilogy. You just know that Lucas wants to work in an Obi-Wan reference to how he hates flying during the Millennium Falcon takeoff.

Its interesting that when people want to bad mouth Indy films they always bitch about Lucas and almost never Spielberg. Like everything good in them is Spielberg and everything bad is Lucas. I guess this is likely a reaction to the lukewarm reception of the prequels.

Yes, Lucas executive produced them and owns the rights, but they’re pretty much Spielberg’s babies. Its not like Spielberg was a hired hand who didn’t have final cut or was forced to shoot scripts he didn’t like. Lucas was very hands off during the films’ productions.

Exactly. Last Crusade was nothing like Raiders. In fact, it was more like a parody of Raiders. I hated the way they turned Marcus Brody into a clueless bumbling bufoon character–nothing like the Marcus Brody we saw in Raiders. In fact, the whole cast was pretty clueless. It was like watching the Keystone Cops search for the Holy Grail. Ugh.

That is funny. Spielberg has a pretty impressive list of great movies to his name, however, and Lucas’ list is much shorter (and includes none fo his recent work). Then again, Speilberg doesn’t have much luck with sequels. The Phantom Menace was about a hundred times better than the last two Jurassic Park films.