Indiana Jones Opinions Anyone?

Does anyone have the new Indiana Jones game? Any opinions?

There aren’t actual reviews for the PC version yet, but you might want to check out the reviews for the Xbox version.

I’m almost done with it and I was contemplating posting a rant to the forum.

Other than the following rant, I like the game. The combat is really fun, the levels are pretty cool, and I like the enemies. They did a great job of making you feel like you are in an Indiana Jones movie.

----------- rant -------------------
Jumping puzzles are the new maze–the last refuge for lazy designers. Have I designed jumping puzzles? Yes. They were forced on me because I was making a platformer and, as the publisher said, “Platformers have to have jumping puzzles.” They’re pretty easy to design and simple to make, just like mazes used to be.

Jumping puzzles by themselves are bad enough. Jumping puzzles that cause instant death in the middle of missions during a game in which you are only saved between missions is infuriating.

Jumping puzzles during which you unexpectedly slide down a steep ramp with the camera too high to see where you’re going just before you have to time the jump and whip swing perfectly… in the middle of a level… during a game in which you are only saved between missions… should result in some kind of gruesome Fear Factor style dinner buffet for the designer(s) in question.

I can promise you there will be no jumping puzzles in my next game. Scout’s honor.

I can promise you there will be no jumping puzzles in my next game. Scout’s honor.[/quote]

Pfffffttt, women can’t make games just pie…and babies…ppfffttt women. :roll:

Are there cheats to skip to the more combat intense levels?

Ha! See if you get any info on my current game, then! You’ll just have to go to Adrenaline Vault and have your eyes sucked from their sockets by poor writing to get your info, won’t you? :twisted:

Cheats? I don’t use cheats. Only little boys use cheats. :wink:

I’ve been enjoying the Xbox one. It’s not brilliant, by any means, but it does capture that Indy vibe for me so far…

You’ll just have to go to … have your eyes sucked from their sockets by poor writing to get your info, won’t you?

Cookiepants might have problems with that, unless he’s got some sort of anteater snout growing out of his face, or at least a lenth of hose.Cookie! ZING!

Jumping puzzles by themselves are bad enough. Jumping puzzles that cause instant death in the middle of missions during a game in which you are only saved between missions is infuriating.

What are you, some kind of pussy who needs to save your game all the time? BUCK UP SOLDIER! DO IT OVER! AND OVER! AND LIKE IT! JUST LIKE A NASCAR RACE YOU MORON!

That said, I played the Xbox demo of this game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminds me of early Tomb Raider before they decided to sequelize the game with six rocket launchers in every level.

Oh, I don’t think they’re new at all. ;)

Was it Rayman that had easy jumping puzzles made to look hard? I also tolerated the Prince of Persia style jumps where they all go a set distance (one, three, or four tiles if you grab the ledge). None of this stupid air-control-land-on-moving-platform stuff.

• Alan

Well you do have a point. You suck. But you have a point.

Laralyn: I’m sorry and I love you. In fact if I did not think myself unworthy I would ask you to marry me. Your beauty shines through the darkest night and lifts the veil of darkness with the merest touch. You outshine a million suns and deliver unto us mortals the gift of eternal delight. Also you got a nice rack.

Want a job? ;-)

Want a job? ;-)[/quote]

I’d settle for something juicy to add to my site. :wink:

Shut up Dr. Crypt.

Ok, here’s another rant. It includes very mild gameplay spoilers, so don’t read further if you want to avoid it.

So I’m almost at the end of the game, and they decide to toss in a level with a very distinct kind of gameplay. I don’t want to say what it is, because that would be a complete spoiler, but suffice to say it’s something straight out of Crash Bandicoot. Here’s why it pissed me off.

1. It uses challenging skills in a setting where it’s insta-death if you push the wrong button even once.

2. It uses those same skills in a timed setting, which you’ve only had once before under much milder circumstances.

3. It uses skills in a chained way continuously, over and over, in a sort of game that has always used skills separately. For example, in Crash, you learned the zen of jump-jump-jump-action. You don’t do that sort of thing in this game.

4. It switches to a completely different camera never used before in the game, which means all that time you’ve spent learning to judge jumps does you no good at all.

And the biggest reason:

1. The boss battling you has the most dreaded boss attack of all… the amazing, incredible, unstoppable Complete Camera Block! Yes, the boss has the ability to block the camera just as you’re doing those one-mistake-and-you-die moves you just spent the rest of the game NOT doing.

I think it makes me mad because I made a pure platformer, where that type of level fit with the player’s skills more closely. We had a level that used the same style of gameplay and guess what? After 3 weeks of trying to get it to work, I CUT IT because the camera and player skill issues were still stacked against it ever being fun or fair.

I don’t think anyone from The Collective reads this board, but if so: I’ll probably buy Buffy 2, but if I get the sense it has some of these same very basic design flaws that make it a frustrating experience, it’s going right back to the store.

Um… Juicy in what context? I’m afraid to speculate. :oops:

Um… Juicy in what context? I’m afraid to speculate. :oops:[/quote]

Well I’m a nerd, but not so much of a nerd that I’m starving for female attention, so video game peeks would interest me most…however I’d try anything to boost traffic. Also I can’t pay you, that might limit my choices.

And I picked up the game today, God damn thing needs T&L which NOLF2 proved my computer just doesn’t have. sigh Into the garbage it goes.

If you like indy and 3d platformers I would still recommend renting it first. I finished the game in less than 4 days and returned it to the local blockbuster. There are some really great “INDIANA JONES” Moments and a great tie in with temple of doom which I won’t spoil for you. The voices are good. The acting is ok, if a little dry. NOTE** I’m just a fat kid but even I don’t sound as out of shape as indy does! The puzzles are not too puzzling and the ending is almost non existant (but that’s true of almost every game as of late). Still, you do get to beat up dirty nazis and hear the sound indy’s revolver.

Final verdict: 2 1/2 stars out of 4 = RENT 1st

Randy B

On a side note I’m not sure why, but all recent indy games (fate of atlantis, infernal game…err… machine and emperor’s tomb always have some bizarre otherworldly creatures to fight.

Randy B

Glad folks enjoyed it (for the most part :wink: )

I was one of the level designers on it, so this feedback is wonderful.

For the record: I completely agree about jumping puzzles. What rot!