Indigo Prophecy?

Haven’t seen any chatter here about it. Anyone know anything? It shows a serious amount of promise, but I’ve heard that the controls in the XBox version are awkward. I’d really like to know if anyone here has played it.

Is it out? I was kinda waiting to see how it plays.

It’s out in two weeks, according to Gamerankings.

I just finished one of the endings of the PC demo. The game is interesting and promising. Movement is handled with the arrow keys (or WASD for me): think character relative, Resident Evil style controls, but well implemented. The mouse is used to interact with your environment, but it’s not as simple as left clicking to use something. Instead, approaching various parts of the level will cause a black bar to drop down from the top of the screen containing animated icons that indicate the pattern you need to immitate with the mouse. For instance, early in the demo, I approached a mop, and, as indicated by the corresponding icon, held down the left mouse button and dragged to the right to pick the mop up. Then, prompted by another icon, I held down the left mouse button and moved the mouse side to side to simulate the mopping action. The demo was quite full of interactions like this in every place you’d expect them. Some areas of the game offer multiple interactions in one location, each corresponding to a different mouse gesture. I found this hands on approach to level interaction to be more gratifying than the usual “press a button to use” approach. It works well.

As far as gameplay flow is concerned, I got a strong Choose Your Own Adventure vibe. Actions that you take really seem to affect the outcome of the story. The first ending I encountered in the game was more of a glorified lose screen (basically, my character got caught by the cops and narrated that his tale ended with a life in prison sentence), so it remains to be seen if the game actually allows for truly divergent plots, or just a bunch of gussied up game over screens throughout the adventure until you take the right actions to progress. However, early playthroughs have been promising.

If I have one complaint about the demo, it’s that the graphics are a bit weak, presumably because the game was ported up from the Xbox. The setting and the level of detail remind me greatly of the first Max Payne, minus the kitschy noir “parody” elements. New York, snow storm approaching, trouble brewing, etc. However, the writing, voice acting, and camera work are good. Multiple camera angles can be cycled through with the right mouse button, and they offer a cinematic view of the game world without disrupting control of the player character. Occasionally, the camera will switch to a split screen view to show, for instance, a cop approaching the bathroom you are frantically trying to clean. Pretty neat, tense stuff.

Overall, this demo is great, and I’m looking forward to the full release. Reviews pending, and considering how busy with game releases September is going to be, I may just pick it up.

Edit: grammar and a positive Xbox review

That post and gamepot’s preview make it sound like more of a pure adventure game than I was hoping for. How adventurey is it?

Based on my 30 minute run through of the demo, I’d say the game sticks to the adventure mold, broken up by the occasional action scene. I spent the first part of the demo interacting with objects and patrons in the diner. Once I left the diner, the game shifted to a more action oriented gameplay segment as I ran around trying to find a way to escape from the diner and the approaching cop. It’s hard to say what the full game will be like, but, considering that the game opts for a Resident Evil style control scheme, I doubt it will be dominated by action (Onimusha, anyone?). Which doesn’t bother me one bit. The solid, involving interaction mechanics on offer in the demo are great, and if they’re complemented by a great story and pacing, then I’m sold.

While the gameplay mechanics might be pretty unique, adventure is definitely the category that it most belongs in.

Let me rephrase that question less delicately: I hate adventure games. I hate them because they’re frequently illogical, and they almost always confine you to a single solution to a problem. So I don’t want to play this game if I have to putz around this diner for six hours trying to find a piece of cheese to put in the mousetrap so I can catch a mouse and hide it in the soup that I’m going to give to the security guard to make him run to the bathroom to throw up so I can leave. I just want to punch him in the balls, and be on my way.

So a better question is: will Indigo Prophecy let me just punch that guy in the nuts, or what?

I found no crotch socking in the demo (hardly any puzzles, really), and the progress from beginning to end was very straightforward. It made perfect sense the whole way through. The demo represents the very beginning of the game, though; who knows how illogical things get later on.

Grr.

I just played a 4-level ‘demo’ I got off an xbox-torrent site- if you want to call this piracy, I don’t really care. I’d played the PC demo, and heard what people were saying about it, but the PC demo was just to limited to see if any of that actually worked out, so I got this. Not something I normally do, but I wanted to find out more.

Based on my playthrough, I’ll be buying it. I’m not a particular fan of adventure games, mostly for the reasons you mention- they are frequently illogical, and you generally just hit a wall and quit playing or read a walkthrough (neither of wich are satisfying options, of course). This seemed to be a bit different. You just kind of do stuff- walk around, question people, look at things. Occassionaly the game throws in things to keep you moving and moving forward, but it does all seem very natural, and there usually seems to be no right way to do things, though you can fail. Usually failure involves having to replay the last thirty seconds to two minutes of gameplay, and in an extreme example, I had to restart the ‘chapter’- this time I knew what I was doing, and breezed past the prior obstacle. Controls and graphics on the Xbox are pretty good- the RE-style controls are gone, replaced with a camera-relative sort of setup, which can be a pain when the angle in a particular wcene shifts (going from one room to another, for example). The Shenmue/Dragonslair style QT-events are OK, my biggest beef is that they happen very quickly, and don’t really let you watch the action. The only other problem I can see with it is that it does seem to firmly be on a set of rails- it really is living up to it’s claim of being ‘filmed’ rather than ‘programmed’ or whatever.

Thanks, DQ, that makes the game sound good again.

Angelo Badalamenti does the soundtrack?

Sold!

One of Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy’s claims to fame is that it is less linear and more dynamic than traditional adventure games; i.e., that your choices do affect the narrative flow. E.g., in the diner demo: Do you try to clean up the evidence of the murder you just unwittingly commited? Do you leave calmly or bolt for it in a panic? Do you take the time to search for clues or do you hightail it outta there as quick as you can?

I don’t know how much impact you can have on the narrative flow - the demo’s far too short for that. But it’s definitely intriguing. FWIW, there are a couple of positive reviews for it in the Euro press. I plan to rent the Xbox version to see how it turned out.

Even if the ways in which you can alter the narrative are limited (as I assume they are)–i.e. you may not be able to change where the story goes, but you can change how it gets there–I think that’s a big improvement over the absolute linearity that many adventure games have. I’m definitely interested in this title. The demo, while short, was intriguing.

I’d agree, and it’s one of the reasons why Fahrenheit (“Indigo Prophecy?” Beardy freaks) is interesting to me. It’s taking an extremely naturalistic approach to puzzle solving. There’s only one absolutely-fake puzzle which I can think of in the entire game (it’s in a book shop and involves finding a certain book. And even then, it’s more of a case of “Why would I be doing this?” than the solution being inane).

Fahrenheit’s idea of a puzzle is to have a cop knock on your door, when you’ve got your bloody clothes from a murder lying all over the place. You know what you have to do. It’s the sort of human puzzle solving we do every day.

Its trickier puzzles are more often related to the detective work, in which case they keep the pace slow - there’s no threats in such sections - and have something vaguely procedural to succeed. And there’s often multiple routes to success, especially in the timed ones.

(And I say “timed ones” knowing that creates a shudder in many players. That’s another joy of Fahrenheit - its worked out how to make timed challenges work a lot better)

On average, it was the action sequences - the triggers on an XBox make certain tasks physically arduous - held me up far more than the adventure.

I like the game a lot. It’s not perfect - the writing in the third act drops right off, mainly. Some control issues - but it’s certainly one of the most interesting games of the year.

KG

Is this game better on the PC or XBox? How does it play?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

This title is showing at TGS this weekend, that means its coming here, its been announced for December! YES YES YES YES YES YES! Wooooohooo. runs around in circles

Psi-ops and God of War are coming too, but I’m not as excited about either as I am about this.

I can’t wait. I can’t wait.

-Kitsune

Psi-Ops is sick. One of the most underrated games of last year.

Psi-Ops is only just now getting ready to come out over there? Wow.