Indy Games Article

Found this to be interesting on a mainstream new site:

Even a nod to Battlefront.com

Looks like the gaming underground isn’t very popular around here. Ah well give it time, they can’t ignore it forever ;)

The problem I have with indy gaming (ok, not a problem, but a comment on them) is that if they make a game of any complexity, they milk the engine forever and don’t let anyone else mod it.

Sure, I understand why – they need money to eat too, but I look at Combat Mission and wish that users could create their own units for it.

FWIW, I didn’t buy Combat Mission 2.

What? I keep my ear to the adventure underground constantly. Small independent developers have been the increasing source for adventure games for some time now. Absurdus, Mike Clark, Mulawa, Jonathan Boakes (who actually only recently signed with TAC), Omni, Frogwares (two other small indies who became eventual TAC pickups), Knut Muller (who eventually got picked up by Got Game)… Even most of the little guys who finally find distributors have initially released their adventure games independently beforehand. However, I didn’t notice any independent adventure game developers mentioned in that article, which is why I didn’t initially respond to this post. :lol:

There’s actually all kinds of mods for Combat Mission, with new units, graphics, etc.

There’s actually all kinds of mods for Combat Mission, with new units, graphics, etc.[/quote]
No, there are no new units. What there are are different textures and sounds. Yes, they look very nice, but you aren’t going to see an M1 Abrams tank or NOD Flame tank or anything.

Well, that’s hardly universal. As a counter example, Starshatter has more mod support than most commercial games. I even give away the low-poly modeling tool used to create and import ship meshes for free. Even the free demo version allows you to create and use mods.

As with many aspects of the indie game scene, there is more variety here than commonality.

–milo
http://www.starshatter.com

I don’t like the label ‘indie’ games, its just another label. And some of the games in indie development are of the puzzle variety type… or the webbased type. Not to knock those games… but they are filler-novelty games, and in some cases are just as useless as corporate commercial clone filler games. And I wouldn’t doubt alot of these indie developers aren’t in it for the ‘love’ of making games, ie more for a quick buck. Just a guess…

etc

Unfortunatly there are no quick bucks in indie gaming anymore. Just ask brian hook at pyrogon, their about to go out of business. The “filler” game market as you refer to it is extreamly saturated rigth now. PopCap walks away the undisputed winner and very few others are actually making money. I would say the failure rate of indie games is even higher then the retail industry.

By failure I mean, failing to make enough money to support the lone wolf developer full time. Most indies actually dont count this as a failure however, it’s more of a learning expirence. Something to build from as they work towards their goal, making games full time. They do it because there’s nothing else they’d rather be doing then working for themselves and making games.

Yeah, Popcap got that “first mover” advantage. It has to be hard for anyone else making puzzle games to jump into that market.

The ones that seem to have the best chance for success are the ones that fill an otherwise underserved niche, like all the tiny wargame companies.

I think the challenge for indie developers is to pick niches smartly and budget resources wisely.

Seems like a “well duh” type thing to say but it’s amazing how many developers will try to compete with “the big guys”.

Certain types of war games, strategy games, adventure games are things that I think are still good markets for indies if they can keep their costs under control.

Certain types of war games, strategy games, adventure games are things that I think are still good markets for indies if they can keep their costs under control.

Not just cost, but quality. I’ve seen some really hideous games being sold to fans of defunct genres.

Indy game developers have to be more objective and realize some of their projects aren’t quite ready for “prime time”. That being said, I do appreciate their efforts.

Well if I’m driving round in Pz-IIIs and IVs, I’d rather not see an M1-Abrams coming at me :) .

Pyrogon’s going under? That’s too bad - I loved that Candy Cruncher game of theirs, but since they never bothered releasing it for Pocket PC, I never bought it.

There are still indie develoeprs like me doing their stuff part time. It doesnt matter that much if game like mine don’t sell enough to support myself because I have a day job.
There is a lot of crap in the indie game scene, and WAY too many puzzle games at the moment. people should stick to making the kind of games that they enjoy, and worry about success if and when it happens.

There is loads happening out there:

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/index.php

http://diygames.com/news/

Also (blatant plug):

http://indiegamejam.com

love reading about indie games. good link. anyone know if there are any of these titles for the ahem mac? :wink: