Infested Planet

I so can’t wait to get this. I love games with meta layers like this.

Infested Planet is also the daily deal, so folks interested in the DLC can buy the base game (and the first DLC) for almost nothing.

If you own the game and the first dlc, its still cheaper to get the Planetary Campaign via the Megapack Bundle, it just deducts what you already own from the total cost.

I bought it the other way round, had the main game only. I bought the new DLC at full price, the previous DLC was then available in the megabundle for just $0.88.

Dammit, I didn’t get the two dollar discount because I did it in the phone app.

I just decided to let him keep the extra $2.

Will hopefully be dipping into this later. Can’t wait!

It’s very cool that Steam now do DLC discounts that account for whatever you already own. Was able to pick up the Trickster’s Arsenal and Planetary Campaign for about £5.

Now, how do I play this again…?

Just start a campaign on easy. Your body will remember.

-Tom

The campaign on normal starts our pretty darn easy, but by the end I had several very tense battles. For those on the fence, I’m not really a RTS player but Infested Planet is doable.

Campaign is kicking my ass in the best way. REALLY liking it.

Is anyone else playing this on a 4K monitor in fullscreen mode? There doesn’t appear to be any scaling, so I want to play at a lower resolution. When I switch to fullscreen, though, the cursor doesn’t select properly. Anyone else having this issue?

I don’t remember having any problems when this originally came out, but I had a lower resolution monitor then.

Wait, want the main game a campaign already? Will have to check this out!

There is a UI scaling slider in the options. Not sure if you tried that yet or not, but it might be easy to miss.

Sounds like it’s a strategic layer for the tactical battles rather than a linear campaign from the original game. I didn’t catch that until I read the Steam description.

These are/were my favorite types of strategy games. I think I’m all infested out though.

Thanks! I missed that somehow. Unfortunately it only scales the UI and not the map. I want to be able to zoom in farther, but can’t do that at the 4K resolution. But at least it’s an improvement.

Started playing the campaign last night after warming back up on a survival map a couple of days ago. It’s so weird not being able to use WASD to pan around the map that I ended up nuking a ton of hotkeys to do so. I can’t help but mouse around the UI anyway when it’s paused so I don’t think I’ll miss them too much.

I decided to go with a normal difficulty normal size map with tutorial help and… well, I lost track of time and it was well past my bedtime when I retired. I’m going to guess that the map size has a huge effect on the difficulty but normal seemed a mite too easy for me so I’m going to notch something up next time. That said, I haven’t quite finished my current campaign so we’ll see how the last two strongholds go…

A few tips from my limited time with it:

• The only way to unlock tier 2 units is by taking strongholds or grabbing the research modules in nearby territories. These modules disappear quickly so act fast. You’re only ever one mutation away from a counter to whatever tech you’ve got so it’s better to be prepared. Most of this campaign I’ve only had riflemen and shotguns and the mutation ‘bone wall’ (I think) has made penetrating hives a lot trickier.

• Med pods are your best friend, unless they have mortars, in which case, target them first.

• Cluster bombs are really handy for clearing the way for a swift hive attack.

• On the strategic layer, try and surround infestations, I believe this cuts them off and neutralises them, effectively saving you a battle.

Man, strongholds are a cool twist…

I’m throwing down the gauntlet. I put some scores up on the weekly challenges - bronze, silver and horde. I have no idea how good my scores are but I’d love for some people to try and beat them. Knowing how @tomchick is competitive, maybe at least he will bite. The more the merrier though. I don’t know when the weekly challenges change and the scores go away.

As an update on my earlier issue (in case it helps anyone), increasing the world detail allowed me to zoom in further, so now scaling is no longer an issue. Fullscreen mode still doesn’t work properly for me, but it’s not a big deal.

When this game originally came out, I got stuck on the 3rd to last mission and eventually lost interest before figuring it out. Got back into the game after purchasing the recent DLC and was able to beat that same mission on the first try without any issues. Not what changed, but it feels good.

It is pausable when giving orders right?

Yep, sure is.