Infested Planet

Story. Haven’t gotten the DLC yet.

Edit: And now I have the DLC. I am not a man of strong will. :)

Just finished the main campaign. I dialed it down to Easy for the last few caverns as I realized machine gunning vast swarms of aliens is really the fun part. Nice game. Also the only thing I picked up in the Steam sales last year.

Free stuff is always nice, especially when the base game is this good. A new update just rolled out today that adds a handful of new toys to the DLC campaign and custom games.

There’s a new weapons patch out for Infested Planet, specifically improving the Planetary Campaign expansion.

Since our players enjoyed the procedural campaign so much, I decided to add a few new toys for free. Each tech tree is randomised, so adding a few new options is a good way to shake the game up.

New Weapons

Here are the new tools for your alien-fighting pleasure. They will show up in your campaigns, randomly replacing old tech. You can also check them out in the custom game mode (if you have the DLC).

Toxic Bomb

We’ve already had airstrikes in the game. Now this technology allows you to drop a poison cloud on the enemy hives, killing all the bugs in the area. The best thing is that the cloud hangs around, so you could cleverly deny the aliens portions of the map.

Holopad

Sometimes you just have to be tricky instead of brawny. This new building will spawn holographic marines to distract the enemy. While they’re shooting at decoys, you can shoot them back with real bullets.

Cloaking Field

Make sneak attacks with this new research building. It cloaks your entire team and allows them to fire on enemies for a while before uncloaking.

Triage

In the Planetary Campaign expansion, sometimes your armies get beat up and run out of morale. Solution? Rescue your soldiers with this new tech station just before they die. If you pull it off right, you can still win even with the most demoralized army.

Radio Pod

This allows you to buff a single soldier to fire three times as fast. Stick this on a minigunner or a rocket trooper and they’ll eat aliens alive.

Other Improvements

You can now customize the Planetary Campaign before you start it. I added two new advanced options:

Play every single campaign map with fog of war
Reduce the power of retreating (to eliminate exploits)

There are also several bugfixes and tweaks.

Ha, I just uninstalled this last night. Not this specifically, but I was going down the list of games that I’m probably not going to play in the next few months and uninstalling them. Infested Planet was a victim of the purge. Now to reinstall!

-Tom

I did exactly the same last week… no wait, I didn’t! I’m the best.

Thanks for the heads-up @Otagan!

I’d been thinking about uninstalling it as well, but was highly confused when I saw a pending update earlier today. Then I remembered the dev had been talking about doing this for the better part of a year and figured it had finally come to pass. It’s basically a bit of a spare time side project to put this together, but it was a supremely nice gesture.

This game is so tiny it doesn’t need to be uninstalled! Ooops I have it uninstalled to.

After playing some Paricle Fleet last night , this game came to mind when I woke up.

I assume I was killing aliens all night in my dreams! :D

So I fired it up, did a random mission, and its still DAMN GOOD!

Anyone ever mess with the Planetary Campaign dlc?

Yes, I’ve been playing a campaign and I think it’s awesome. You should try it!

Yep, definitely worth playing at least once. Tom and I actually talked about this one on the podcast when I was on it a while ago - although I think we chatted more about stuff. Tom makes chatting on a podcast pretty easy and comfortable.

Infested Planet is a favourite of mine and the Planetary Campaign is a great addition. I need to give some of the new tech a whirl.

Can you share campaign seeds? Might be fun to do a forum challenge.

That would be very cool. I’m not sure you can though.

Just noticed this game. Can you pause the game and can you scum save? Thanks.

Edit - Just watched a review where the guy said you can pause, but did not mention saving to restart from a certain point.

Man I wish I’d noticed that there are 2 dlcs during the winter sale. I will probably spring for them anyways.

Pause the game, yes. Scum save, as far as I remember, no.

The fluid economy of the game means that save scumming is rendered kind of moot. Each game is a tug of war where lost ground can be gained back and you never lose any resources you’ve gained. You just switch things up constantly, adapting to the different mutations and attacks. It’s one of the defining characteristics of the game vs. other RTS. It encourages experimenting with different unit and ability combos.

Played the main game campaign through but never got the DLC. The comments have kinda re-ignited my interest.

This thread bump couldn’t have happened to a nicer game! One of the best RTSs to come out in a long time.

-Tom

/wiggles eyebrows

Oooo, what are weekly challenges like?