Infinity Engine: High Water for Multiplayer RPGs?

"So you’re saying that the game was incomplete if you don’t hunt down user mods? "

No I’m saying the campaign in the box was made primarily for SP, and there’s nothing wrong with that as theirs plenty of other content that works well for MP.

"Freezing of combat? That was completely configurable. You could set the game up so there were no pauses during combat in multiplayer. Or you could set it up to pause when, say, someone took a hit. You could even set it up so that only the host could pause. "

Any freezing is annoying in a MP game IMO. Doing spells right could be a pain in a game like BG without pausing. Diablo was made from the beginning for RT gaming, so its smooth constant action. That works better in MP for me.

"Diablo II? That doesn’t have nearly the tactical combat depth of BG/BG2. "

I don’t think the IE games had that much depth to which you seem to be saying. BG2 was allot of fun but combat was about 90% having the right spells done before combat and right at the beginning at this would pretty much always decide the winner and wether you reloaded the game or not.

A game like D2 is just more fun for me with a group of friends than a IE game. It maybe simpler but its smoother playing IMO and keeps everybody in the game always playing. Thats not the case with trying to play BG with 4 people.

My point about freezine is that it was completely configurable. If you knew your spells and had your hotkeys assigned properly, pausing wasn’t needed. But players could pause if they wished.

BG/BG2 was among the most social PC gaming experiences I’ve ever had. It wasn’t just a bunch of people playing together. We really were a party. When we played Diablo II, it was just, run and gun, and very little social interaction.

Of course, the vast majority of my multiplayer gaming is over a LAN, not the Internet, and we’re all in the same room. I think that changes the dynamic considerably.

Yeah, it doesn’t work as well online. I played some of BG1, and all of IWD1 and BG2 multiplayer on a LAN and had an amazing time. I definitely agree with you that I’d like more experiences like that. But online, it’s harder to keep people patient - maybe through Roger Wilco or something it’d be much better.

Yeah, it doesn’t work as well online. I played some of BG1, and all of IWD1 and BG2 multiplayer on a LAN and had an amazing time. I definitely agree with you that I’d like more experiences like that. But online, it’s harder to keep people patient - maybe through Roger Wilco or something it’d be much better.[/quote]

Yep that’s how our group plays… one guy in cali, one in chicago, one in oklahoma, and me in new hampshire. I set up a gamevoice server on my server machine, and we’ve played through BG2+TOB, IWD1+2+Heart of Winter, and NWN+some mods. We definately preferred the Infinity engine, in fact we’ll probably play through BG2 again. The voice chat takes it to another level.

One thing that’s missing from NWN is the “CHUNK!” on excessive damage.

:D :D