Inside - Limbo developers follow up title

I’m about 1/3 of the way in and just hit a puzzle that is stumping me. They lulled me into thinking all the puzzles were going to be easy. Maybe the puzzle is easy, and my bout of Vertigo yesterday (first time ever and a trip to the ER) is still playing with my brain. :-)

Edit: Any guesses where I am?

I bet you have a glowy thing stuck on your head. Maybe. I found some of those situations fairly tough the first and second time through the game.

I do, but it’s not the first one I encountered. Not sure how many of these I’ve seen though.

Wow, I can’t believe I overlooked that! I’ll blame it on the vertigo!

I’m about halfway through and the game definitely kicked it up a notch again. The ‘collecting puzzle’ is pretty involved. I need 3 more and I feel like I’ve look everywhere. I think I’m being vague enough as to not spoil, but if I’m not let me know and I’ll spoiler tag it.

I know where you are, and I think I even know the three you are missing.

I know where you are, and I can’t remember the exact solution, but even before the last three I kept thinking I’d checked as far as I could go in each direction, and then realized I was wrong several times.

That’s not really a useful hint, just saying I can relate.

I made it past that area, and yeah, I didn’t go as far as I could have in 1 direction. I thought that was where I came from - musta got confused.

I made it pretty far past that area without any problems… until now. All of the puzzles I at least knew what I had to do. With this one I really don’t know. I’ve resisted looking up answers so far. I have 18 sections left according to the loading screen. I keep going back to two screens thinking they have to be the ones I do something, but damn I can’t see it.

I love this game. The puzzles usually make sense. They are generous with the save points. The devs are awesome at being creepy. I usually don’t like games or movies that are not in color, but their limited use of color and the environments they create are so cool. No complaints about this game - well, maybe just this one damn puzzle :-)

Edit: It’s funny how almost every time I post about a problem I’m having I go back and solve it in minutes :-)

Yeah, I loved that about the game too. And then I played it again a few months later with my niece and nephew, and I’d forgotten all the puzzles and solved it with them. And then a year later, it came out on a different platform and I did it again, having forgotten a lot of the puzzles. And then it came out for the Vita, and I was just seeing how it looked, and hey, I don’t remember the solution to this puzzle, maybe if I jumped onto that bit? It’s a game that keeps on giving! I suspect one day it will come out for the holodeck, and I’ll be like, hey, I’ve already played that. But I don’t remember how I get across this river. Maybe if push this block this way?

Wait, this is the Inside thread? I thought this was the Limbo thread. Ignore me. I haven’t played Inside.

Well damn, that was cool. I ended with only 3 of the achievements so I missed 11 out of 14 secrets I guess. I played for about 4 hours total and got stuck pretty bad twice. I like how natural so many of the puzzles feel. I don’t think I’d just start looking for the secrets from the start, but maybe look up what level they are on and then look on those levels.

Man the people who made this game are geniuses / weird / creepy / sick / awesome.

G[quote=“robc04, post:30, topic:120119”]
Man the people who made this game are geniuses / weird / creepy / sick / awesome.
[/quote]

Right!? Such lovely/terrifying imagry, and the more I read theories about the story and the ending ( and secret ending) the more of a wonderful mindfuck it all is. Such a cool experience.

So I picked up Inside yesterday, got round to playing it today for about ten minutes.

Oh boy, do I hate this game. I’m considering making my first ever Steam refund request, but this game has had overwhelmingly positive coverage, everybody seems to be in love with this game.

My first impressions of it are that it contains a combination of two of my least favourite things in games combined in such a way as to multiply my hatred of it.

The first is using a child as a cheap shorthand for emotional connection and meaningful stakes. Imagine if the protagonist of this was an adult? You know, the usually near super-human video game protagonist. The opening of this game would just be annoying. I’m not against having children in peril represented in games (or any other media) but you have to earn it first.

The other issue is enforced stealth sections with unclear rules and hard failure conditions. I love stealth, but let me know what the rules are before you kill me please! Or make it a soft failure so I can react to failures and come up with new plans on the fly.

So far, all I’ve seen from Inside is a child being repeatedly asphyxiated in a gloomy forest. Followed by a rage quit.

I fall for it every time and it makes me care. I know, I’m a sap - but I easily identify with the character being someone’s child, like mine.

I didn’t find the stealth part too unclear and for the most part I enjoyed the puzzily parts.

I understand the idea, and I know it works for other people too. But it really upsets me, I don’t know if it makes me think of my own son, but I really feel like I’m being manipulated. And just seeing that boy being murdered again, and again. Horrible.

The last game that used this on me was Fallout 4. In that I couldn’t play the game except to follow the main story and find my son, until the game locked me in a building with a boss fight that I was not prepared for.

replaying Limbo and Inside for the game of the decade list/thread. In Limbo, it felt kind of sadistic-funny-over the top when the little boy got crushed, spiked, sawed etc. It had a kind of slapstick humour, dark humour, maybe because it was more abstract. In Inside the deaths feel way more cruel and negative, there is nothing funny about them anymore. Is it better that way? I don’t know, but it is different.

The sound design in both games is great, but Inside is a league on its own. Remember the levels with the thumping detonations. Really great. The whole concept of this series is just great, you always want to go further and further and see what comes next. The sections are short enough that if you die, you do not need to repeat anything. But it is not actually a trial/error game like Dragon’s Lair or maybe it is? I feel like I often have the option to discover the danger lurking, but sometimes it is just interesting to see what happens

I read that Playdead is working on a 3D spiritual successor to the Limbo/Inside games. I am really looking forward what they will do next with an extra dimension. I don’t expect anything else than that it will be an amazing experience…

I should just look up the solution to where I was stuck in Inside. It was pretty early in the game, some kind of barn. I never had to look up anything in Limbo, but Inside was just too tough for me I guess.

do it, the later levels are amazing. It blew my mind how big this world ist comparing to Limbo. First it looks like you are only on this farmyard, but it really opens up. Limbo/Inside are one of the few games I like to replay … they have such a good pacing

Yeah, I ended up playing through Limbo three times. I didn’t mean to, after I’d finished it once. But I was showing it to someone, and ended up playing through it. And then I was showing it to my niece and nephew, and I ended up playing through it again.

It bothers me that I can’t figure it out though. There’s just some ropes hanging in the barns, and I can’t go forward anymore. I know I have to use the ropes somehow, but there seems to be nothing I can do with them? Oh well, if I stew on it for a couple of more months, I’m sure it will come to me.

Edit: Ok, I looked it up. Apparently you can start the machine by pulling on it, which leads to a solution.

ah the little chicken problem, they deviously designed the machine to look like a shredder or chopper