Insidious new style of 360 death

So our 360 has started hanging. Repeatably. After 5 to 10 minutes or so of doing anything – playing music, watching a movie, not even talking about gaming here – it freezes.

No ring of red lights or anything, just a full stop.

Soooo, yeaaaah, time to cash in on that Fry’s Electronics replacement plan (hopefully better than sending the goddamn thing to Microsoft). Maybe I’ll pick up a memory stick and see if I can get the profile info off of it first, though. Any recommendations on doing that? Also, I wonder if I have to prove that it’s broken, and if it’ll refuse to hang when being played at the Fry’s outlet :-( :-( :-(

Microsoft really must be sweating bullets over their hardware failure rate now…

Not so new. When my 360 died a few months back, it did pretty much the same thing–just froze up after a few minutes of activity. There was a few instances of the classic red ring, though.

Check the terms of your Fry’s plan. I bought my 360 only a short while before Microsoft suddenly retroactively extended their own warranty, and Micro Center’s replacement plan only kicks in after the official warranty ends–which forced me to go the Microsoft coffin route.

If Fry’s does cover, see if they’re cool with you keeping the hard drive and just replacing the core system. That’s the easiest way to keep everything (and it’s what you do with the coffin route).

Mine wasn’t red-ringed either; the video output simply stopped. I could hear it boot up and even fire up a game - just couldn’t get a video signal out :/ So very exciting, the many faces of 360 death.

a great bit of irony to me is I heard Microsoft is (or at least was) aiming for the “Six Sigma” standard of manufacturing efficiency, which is like fewer than 4 defects per 1,000,000 produced.

I think they have a little bit of work to do.

Of course, with just three reports of trouble in this thread, Microsoft could still be reaching that Six Sigma goal. Assuming that there a million 360s out there running with no problems… ;)

It would only be helpful for getting real statistics if everyone who never had a problem with their 360 posted so.

I just hope someday down the line when the 360 has been replaced by bigger and badder consoles someone at MS will honestly reveal just how high the real failure rate was.

I feel quite confident that will never happen. They’re not the government, they don’t have 100-year declassification laws.

There have been polls here that indicated that something like 20% of people responding had had 360 hardware problems. I’m sure the total failure rate is REALLY HIGH relative to what it ought to be. Have there been any reliable reports of PS3 failures? (HOW COULD WE TELL, NO ONE HAS ONE, HAR HAR)

Maybe they went six sigma in the other direction?

yeah I dont think it will happen either but I can always dream. I have absolutely 0 data to back this up but ive always felt the rate has to be pretty high, 15% or so on the low end, perhaps as much as 30 or 35% on the high end. But yeah 20% feels about right from all the noise ive heard on both sides.

Wishing you luck on getting a working console in the near future

4th 360 here and I’ve never seen the red rings of death <knock on wood> yet.

That’s the same problem my 360 had - I never got the red lights of death - my 360, from the moment I got it, would freeze up every 5 to 10 minutes or so.

Replacement one is working well so far, although it has crashed while loading Oblivion screens a couple of times in 100+ hours

Working as intended. Seriously.

I read that as a 4ppm failure rate out the door. That is, a truly broken console that escaped the quality controls at the factory and maybe some infant mortality within warranty NOT a field failure one or two years later.

You know, factory speak for “its not our problem”.

You mean that’s a normal occurrence with 360s that are fine? That’s what I gathered, from the initial threads when the game was released. It’s certainly not a big problem to reload twice in 100+ hours.

My guess is ‘yes’. I had a couple of hangups in Oblivion and Dead Rising each when my 360 was working. Or at least I noticed nothing wrong with other games. And this was many months before my 360 died a permanent death on me, so I don’t think these few freezes were a sign of impending doom.

Just before my 360 died for good, I got exactly what RepoMan got. While playing a DVD, it froze after about a half-hour. Upon rebooting, red rings. It hasn’t recovered since.

Xbox 360 failures are starting to become a more mainstream meme–check out kotaku’s coverage of a story over on the Motley Fool website:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/oh-no-he-didn/the-motley-fool-on-microsofts-xbotch-267324.php

Xbotch. That just screams professionalism.