Install MS .net framework v2.0 or stay with v1.1?

I asked this at HordOCP too, but I get wonderful help here and wanted to ask your opinions.

Should I switch to Microsoft’s version 2.0 verion of .net framework, or stay with version 1.1?

I have to have at least .net 1.1 installed because I have an ATI video card and use Catalyst Control Center (and that requires .net framework). Thanks!

You don’t “switch” to a new .NET version. All Framework versions are installed side-by-side and don’t interfere with each other. All .NET applications automatically find the proper Framework version they need. Since your ATI drivers require 1.1 they will simply ignore a 2.0 installation as long as 1.1 is present.

If you force your ATI drivers to use 2.0 by uninstalling 1.1 or by editing the driver config file you might break the drivers. 1.1 and 2.0 are not 100% compatible – they’re mostly compatible but 2.0 was a massive functionality upgrade, not just a bugfix update.

So you might as well install 2.0 if you feel like it, but that won’t matter one bit to your ATI drivers. I’d suggest to wait until you get an application that requires 2.0.

I’m not sure I quite understand… but lets see if I’ve got this right… Program’s are written to utilize one or the other. 2.0 doesn’t overwrite 1.1, but IS a better version… but useless to me if no software exclusively uses it.

And you said if you have both running they have compatability issues? Yuck - so I guess I definately should not install it if not needed?

Thanks so much for helping me! :)

Yes.

2.0 doesn’t overwrite 1.1, but IS a better version… but useless to me if no software exclusively uses it.

Yes.

And you said if you have both running they have compatability issues?

No, on the contrary! Multiple Framework versions install side-by-side which simply means they don’t interfere with each other, and each application uses the one it’s designed to use. You can safely install as many Framework versions as you like on the same system.

Whew! Thanks for clarifying that for me. That makes a lot more sense.

The compatibility issue can come in when you have a single application that was designed with 1.1 that is suddenly forced to use 2.0, such as changing the extension mappings on a website in IIS. FIddly bits like consumer apps and hardware will use whatever they have always used, as the previous posters said.

H.

When I installed Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, the 2.0 version was a suggested/required install as well, and they (1.1 & 2.0) definitely work side-by-side. Haven’t had any hitches with them.

2.0 most definitely interferes with 1.1 in some circumstances. Case in point: We have an activex control that downloads to the user’s machine and provides download management for our corporate application. Allowing this code to run on an XP system requires that trusted zone security be handed to this particular control. Under 1.1 the file ends up in the security.txt file buried in the 1.1 framework folder. Now, if you install 2.0 we’ve found that the security.txt file in 2.0 takes precedence over the one in 1.1, even for applications that don’t see 2.0 at all. So, the previous change to 1.1 security settings is immediately ignored when you install 2.0 and I’ve had to edit this file by hand until we get a fixed installer component for the setting.

I’ve heard of some odd cases like yours but only regarding web applications, and we were talking client-side applications. Also, what you report definitely sounds like a bug that should be fixed in a service pack. Did you make an entry in the MSDN Feedback Center?

Apps can check for a version of .NET (like 2.0) and use that, and then if it doesn’t find that check for 1.2 and use THAT, or whatever.

The Catalyst Control Center is a good example. It’s actually faster and more responsive with .NET 2.0, but works on lower-version .NET software as well.

Wait, so the ATI software was actually written for 2.0 and just falls back to 1.1? Why didn’t you say so in the first place?

HUH?! Wait sec. Why does it install .net framework version 1.1 with the latest CD (X1900XT) CAT version 5.13 then?

wait another second: why are you even taking a CD that came w/ a video card out of the box? Just download the newer ones.

The downloadable drivers on the web don’t include support for the X1900 cards yet.

HUH?! Wait sec. Why does it install .net framework version 1.1 with the latest CD (X1900XT) CAT version 5.13 then?

I’m pretty sure .net 2.0 isn’t technically out of beta yet (is it?). I don’t think anyone is distributing it.

I’ve had several meeting with ATI where they spoke of improvements made to the CCC’s speed and responsiveness, and where they told me that .net 2.0 speeds things up again - and significantly.

CCC was originally written for 1.1, but has since had several improvements and upgrades under the hood. I’m pretty sure (90%) that the version you download today will take advantage of .net 2.0 for some performance improvements.

Actually, the final version of .NET 2.0 was released in early November 2005. Maybe too late to use it for the latest Catalyst version, though.

I’m rather unclear how a program that’s written for 1.1 should take advantage of 2.0 features, though. Are you sure you didn’t see a developer version that was built on 2.0?