Insurgency going to WWII

Insurgency, the hardcore first-person shooter from NWI, is getting “Day of Infamy” a WWII conversion.

It’s a community project, but it’s being done with the full blessing of NWI, and some of the NWI and Red Orchestra devs are working on it as well.

Day of Infamy marks a turning point for Insurgency’s development. It’s the manifestation of several years’ work creating a tactical shooter platform that can be modified into an entirely new era, while maintaining the core gameplay that Insurgency is renowned for,” explains creative director Andrew Spearin.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601757902

The best possible thing to do as an multiplayer only indie game developer is to fracture the community with mods and compete against your main competitor in your niche by directly copying their theme. (A theme which is trodden into the ground, no less! WWII! Normandy! Bastogne! Has there never been a war anywhere else in the world?)"

Still, it’s free, so I’ll give it a whirl! But will it draw me away from Red Orchestra? (Insurgency never held me long, either the original HL2 mod or the paid-for one)

Wow I did not know about this at all, thanks for posting Telefrog! I have an opposite take to Pod since Insurgency is one of my favorite shooters in recents years; they have done so much right in a genre that has succumb to groupthink. While WWII was a tired overworked theme a decade ago now we are inundated with Modern/Near-future shooters or Cartoony MOBA-like shooters. I have been craving a good WWII shooter and playing Verdun (WWI theme) has reminded me how fantastic a historical shooter with grounded real-world weapons can be. Plus I love any shooter where bolt-action rifles play a significant role beyond just sniper kits.

I also don’t really see this as a direct competitor to Red Orchestra since it is a free mod; rather a complementary product. Especially since RO2/Rising Storm have been out for several years now. This is such an underserved area of gaming at present that I want to give any project of this nature a chance to get off the ground and I hope they are successful in terms of active player count.

I am soooooooooo excited for this and I can’t believe it is available now. Will be trying this soon.

-Todd

Plus, the official RO guys are/have moving/ed on to Rising Storm 2: Vietnam and Killing Floor 2.

This is just getting started, so if you want a current WWII shooter fix that leans more to the hardcore side, this is it.

I tend to think someone always posts this with regard to a WW2 theme in a game.

Yeah, I actually reinstalled Medal of Honor Airborne recently, I love that game. I miss WW2 shooters.

Sure but try marketing the Polish-Soviet War of 1920, or the Congolese Civil War of 1960-64, or the Chinese Civil War of 1946-49. When you have your marketing plan ready, get back to me. Until then . . .

Arise!

This is fun so far. I’ve been playing mostly co-op thus far and it’s still difficult enough that we voted to turn down the AI difficulty level in the middle of a round. And still lost. You do have to have some tactics and have your stuff together, because if you die you don’t get to respawn until your team captures a new point, which can take a while or even never happen as your advance peters out thanks to falling numbers.

Graphics are middling, but the ragdolling is fun and the bullets, bombs and rockets all feel visceral and will make you duck your head as you play.

The game doesn’t have rocket jumping, but it does have grenade jumping…

Anyone else pick this up?

Nope , too busy fighting the First World War. :p

These devs should be glad they released this when they did, if the leak is true, this year’s COD fall game is WW2 themed.

Hey! Don’t stand th… never mind.

Extravagant Geoff shows off his new method for getting behind enemy lines.