Intel's stagnating performance is not in your head

Yeah. The Jaguar is literally a tablet cpu on par with Intel’s Atom, and Atom was not a serious processor in any way.

Also worth considering that even in heavily multithreaded code, Intel is neck and neck with the 8 core Ryzen CPUs using only 6 cores, because their cores are a bit faster. And both of those are worlds faster than the x86 junkware that’s in consoles.

I’m trying to come up with some witty remark about this headline, but I’m still too shocked to make it work.

I keep telling everyone these are the end times, but nobody believes me

I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and in this case, the enemy AMD and Intel are eyeing is Nvidia.

That has been rumored for over a year, actually. AMD was financially doing really poorly pre-Ryzen.

Nvidia has been pushing hard. Jensen has said he wants the GPU to replace the CPU. And their stock is at all-time high.

Apple is also a consideration. They like AMD GPUs for their more expensive machines, but they’ve been pushing Intel on graphics for years.

How about Qualcomm, guys?

Hmmmmm… so apparently Intel just discovered this, and it has nothing to do with the increasing calls for Kranzich’s dismissal over their constant delays to 10nm or his eye-raising stock sell before Meltdown/Spectre went public. Or am I being too naive?

Oh shit, the CFO is taking over. He’s never been an engineer; in fact, he’s a relative newcomer who came from an investment firm. He would be the first non-engineer running Intel ever. Of course, he could end up being a miracle worker (Steve Jobs wasn’t an engineer or coder), but this looks like trouble for a company mired in security woes and years-long delays in process shrinks.

The CFO will be the interim CEO. I wouldn’t read too much into it regarding Intel’s long term strategy, unless/until he is made full-CEO.

That story is BS. There’s no way he was publicly fired for a consensual relationship. At most he would have “retired to spend more time with his family”.

“Intel inside”

I’m going to agree with this. It was stated they have a non-fraternization policy, but something else is afoot here. Perhaps there is also some sort of suit by the other party, or a spurned spouse?

I wonder if Intel ran into physical limits earlier than everyone else so it seems like they stagnating.

Apple is squeezing out a few more years of progress but who knows, they might hit a similar wall in a couple years.

Apple CPUs are nowhere remotely close to as fast as Intel’s high-end parts. AMD comes much closer, but still lags Intel in both IPC and clockspeeds. Apple focuses on power efficiency and AMD on core-count, but neither one competes on raw single-core processing.

Try again

The 3770k is not a modern high-end part.

It is comparable for the average laptop, that’s for sure. On desktop where you can have 300+w power budgets, fine, but how big of a market is that these days?