Intel's stagnating performance is not in your head

I didn’t say Apple’s CPUs weren’t comparable to the average laptop your aunt uses to read the facebooks, I said they weren’t comparable to high-end parts.

Try again stusser

On laptop they are basically there already. On desktop, with 100w+ power budgets for the CPU, you can surely do more, at great power cost.

One thread was clearly not enough for wumpus to impress upon us how awesome Apple’s CPUs are.

We get it.

Single-core 3930 vs 5933 for the 8700k, a third slower. Multicore 9311 vs 25,942 for the 8700k, 64% slower.

Compare to mobile parts, single-core 3930 vs 4177 for 8650U, 6% slower. Multicore 9311 vs 12,371, 25% slower. No coffee lake U CPUs yet, the 8650U is kaby so only 4 cores.

2016 Macbook Pro ($1499 13" model) had a i5-6360U I am pretty sure. Seems like the highest of the high end to me. Name me one faster CPU model out there. Stop goal shifting stusser.

Yeah, exactly. Apple is catching up slowly but surely, because it’s super-hard to improve instructions per clock these days. But they don’t compete with high-end intel CPUs yet.

Probably why there aren’t any ARM Macbooks… yet. I imagine when they catch up, there will be.

Probably also the fact that they need to rewrite macOS for ARM.

But yeah, it’s just a matter of time. I’m sure Apple would love to not have to buy cpus from Intel.

Oh I betcha they’ve had it running on ARM since the A7 days at latest, just waiting for performance to catch up.

They’ve pretty much announced that’s what they are doing, haven’t they? Maybe I’m confused.

Not at all, just rumors and speculation so far.

I will bet a whoooole lot of money that this happens by 2020, as rumored by that Bloomberg article I linked.

Two really good blog posts in the past week, about Intel being disrupted, and how tech companies become disrupted (it’s a lot more complex thank you think).

https://stratechery.com/2018/intel-and-the-danger-of-integration/

I have to hope/wonder if this isn’t one of many factors holding Apple back from updating their laptops.

Even MS is very quietly putting out a Qualcomm Windows device (cue @wumpus screams).

This is sideways the topic of today’s Semi Accurate. https://semiaccurate.com/

Semi accurate! That was it. I used to read that via RSS when Google reader still existed, and I remember reading, 5 years ago, some articles about how Apple were.scaling up their internal CPU and GPU HDL teams and how that was the writing on the wall of Imagination Technologies.

And they were right!

I just couldn’t remember the name of the blog because it’s terrible. I kept thinking it was called ‘broken tech’ or something. Does it still try and charge people mega bucks for the 3 articles they put out in a year? :)

I still follow them in my RSS. There aren’t too many articles that aren’t behind the paywall, and their paywall is expensive!

Huh haven’t seen that byline in years - though admittedly I haven’t paid close attention in years. IIRC he had a serious hard-on pre-launch for the utter failure of Bulldozer in 2010/11 and I wrote him off in the period after because of that.

Or that might have been someone else. I have no real recollection anymore.

2020 snapshot from my foxhole;my i7 920 and Ryzen 2600X performance with 980Ti/1070/1070Ti is, on average, the same in demanding games @1080p/1440p aside from AC Odyssey and Origin. Pretty impressive for a 12 year old CPU.

Intel’s 7nm process is going great!

These prediction threads are great if only to see who is the loudest vs the wisest.

But, yea, it’s looking dire for domestic chip production. There’s a chance Intel goes either like AMD or, worse, TI, in the near future. Apple abandoning Intel is sort of the canary in the coal mine.

This is why they call me Stusserdramus.