Interesting analysis of the Owen Wilson/Wes Anderson duopoly

Slate just put this up today. The writer wonders if Wes Anderson needs to get back co-writing with Owen Wilson again, because Wilson seems to add the gravity that’s needed in Wes Anderson movies, otherwise they become too stylish for their own good.

I really enjoyed the Life Aquatic. I seem to be in the minority.

I love Life Aquatic.

I didn’t realize that Wilson wasn’t co-writer on Aquatic. I agree w/ the Slate guy that it was a marked downturn for Wes Anderson. Interesting theory, I’ll be watching to see if it pans out. That Rushmore scene with Max & the teacher (“Do you think we’re going to have sex?”) was easily the best one in that movie for me, so if stuff like that came from Wilson, I’m not surprised that Aquatic was so much worse from my perspective.

That article is ridiculous. He should just send Owen the love letter directly.

I’m definitely one of the majority who was disappointed with The Life Aquatic. I think Field Maloney (huh?) is dead wrong about The Royal Tenenbaums, but TLAWSZ seemed to wander aimlessly about, more interested in quirkiness than telling a coherent story. Loved the Portugese Bowie songs, though. And the hotel raid…classic.

But, jeez, it does seem if Maloney thinks Anderson is a bit player in The Owen Wilson Show. Perhaps a little balance to the article, hmm? Perhaps ding Wilson a bit for Behind Enemy Lines or I Spy?

Probably worth noting that, by Anderson and Wilson’s own admission, Wilson had next to nothing to do with the Royal Tenenbaums screenplay, which actually kinda supports Maloney’s contention (he doesn’t seem to like Tenenbaums either, although he doesn’t see fit to explain why). It seems weird that Maloney can dig up old quotes from Barry Mendel and James L. Brooks but remains unaware of this fairly basic fact.

Tenenbaums is my favorite of Andersons movies.

God, just read the article, I think maybe if this guy tilted his throat properly he could fit more of Wilson’s dick in his mouth.

I just saw Life Aquatic last night. I thought it felt like an attempt to be The Royal Tenenbaums that came off more like Lost In Translation. The humor wasn’t really funny, the drama not really engaging, and the characters, even the main characters, disposable.

In other words, a long two hours, that was.

Is this a dig at Lost in Translation too? That movie was quite good.

I just saw Life Aquatic last night. I thought it felt like an attempt to be The Royal Tenenbaums that came off more like Lost In Translation. The humor wasn’t really funny, the drama not really engaging, and the characters, even the main characters, disposable.

In other words, a long two hours, that was.[/quote]

The dog was awesome.

I just don’t get the non-love for The Life Aquatic. It’s easily Anderson’s most visually interesting film to date, it’s got yet another fantastic performance from Bill Murray, two unbelievably hilarious turns from Wilhem Dafoe and Jeff Goldblum (who almost steals the entire movie: “Are you here to rescue me, Steve? … I fold.”) and, like every Anderson movie, gets better with repeat viewings.

Plus: the crazy sets (the cutaway boat was reportedly the biggest set ever built at Cinecitta), the great underwater visualizations from Henry Selick, the Portugese interpretations of David Bowie, and an action scene set to The Stooges’ “Search And Destroy”.

While I’ll always love Rushmore, I find The Life Aquatic a much more interesting and satisfying film than The Royal Tennenbaums (not that Tennenbaums is bad, mind you).The three films feel very much like a trilogy to me, as they feature somewhat prickly and irritating eccentrics as their protagonist, captured at the stages of youth (Rushmore), middle age (Aquatic) and old age (Tennenbaums).

Anyway, much of what I like about Aquatic I don’t seem to be able to properly place into words at 1:58 am, so I’ll just throw in my $0.02 to the minorty vote.

I’m right there with you Kevin. I really like the Life Aquatic because of the visual look of it and the oddball cast. Sure, some stuff just happens for no reason, but its pretty hilarious. And that ‘I fold’ line is one of my favourite lines from the movie too.

But I should say that my favourite Anderson movie is probably Bottle Rocket. For whatever reason, it has really stuck with me and I try to recommend to as many people as possible (for better or worse).

maybe its because Dignan is one of the most lovable characters ever written?

Probably, yeah.

“Hey I thought we were going to hide our identities! On the run from Johnny Law… it ain’t no trip to Cleveland.”

Royal Tennenbaums > Life Aquatic > Bottle Rocket >>>> Rushmore.

A question for those who watched The Life Aquatic:

Possible spoilers below

When they raid Ping island, they went using scuba gear right?

How did Cody get there???

It’s all staged. We’re watching a Zissou documentary.

Totally. You can see Kingsley on the top deck of the boat at the very end, smoking his pipe in silhouette.