Interesting piece on PC gamers and piracy

Wrong, it has NOT been cracked.

Ok, my bad, it’s a workaround. :)

As for the method in the doc file you quoted (which is the same as the method in all the other BD text files on emule and is not a crack) to circumvent the protection… If you had spent more then “five seconds taking a very casual look through cyberspace” then you’d know that while that worked in the past, the version used by BD has fixed this flaw and it wont work (a few people claim that the original unpatched version of the game works for them via this method - but most have been unable to get it to work even with that).

I’ve been told differently. From what I hear, it’s quite easy to circumvent the copy-protection on BD if you use Daemon Tools. Shrug.

Pardon me for asking, but where is this 15-35% number coming from? I don’t think I’ve ever seen consistant numbers that didn’t include a lot of inflation meant to bolster the idea that piracy is causing the collapse of the PC gaming industry.

I often see people saying things like “Well most of the people I talk to in IRC have pirated a game before” and I can only say “duh?” in response. IRC is hardly indicitive of the general population.

Honestly, I’d be willing to bet the loss of gamers to the console wolrd due to the perception of less money invested in hardware upgrades and better compatibility along with fewer problems due to copyright protection completely outshadows the threat of piracy.

Also, how many sales are lost to used games? After a certain time period I’d bet it’s not all that small.

I’m not saying that piracy isn’t a threat, just that large numbers keep getting thrown out without real consideration as to their actual truth.

Pardon me for asking, but where is this 15-35% number coming from? I don’t think I’ve ever seen consistant numbers that didn’t include a lot of inflation meant to bolster the idea that piracy is causing the collapse of the PC gaming industry.

I often see people saying things like “Well most of the people I talk to in IRC have pirated a game before” and I can only say “duh?” in response. IRC is hardly indicitive of the general population.

Honestly, I’d be willing to bet the loss of gamers to the console wolrd due to the perception of less money invested in hardware upgrades and better compatibility along with fewer problems due to copyright protection completely outshadows the threat of piracy.

Also, how many sales are lost to used games? After a certain time period I’d bet it’s not all that small.

I’m not saying that piracy isn’t a threat, just that large numbers keep getting thrown out without real consideration as to their actual truth.[/quote]

I said if it’s true, I personally don’t think a survey that covers such a small demographic of PC Gamers really counts for much.

My regular and reliable source of game rip information, The ISOnews, says that BD has not been cracked yet.

There is a rip/crack of Beyond Divinity. You need the rip, so you can’t actually crack a copy you own (Who does that anyway?) but you can download the rip, which is cracked and works fine. It was ripped by a polish group but it’s the English version of the game. Toca 2 is also available this way.

Kevin

The articles still wrong - the only thing that’s protecting software right now isn’t made by Macrovision.

Well, with all the hell that people seem to be having with Starforce keeping games from working on their boxes, I know I’m a heck of a lot more incined to avoid any software that I find out is protected by that junk. I certainly don’t want it on my machine.

My understanding is that you don’t need a mod chip anymore to mod an Xbox.

I have to say that I was very surprised at the amount of modded Xbox units out there.

And with the price coming down, I don’t see the number going down.

TOCA Race Driver 2, kill/switch, and Beyond Divinity have not been cracked. If they have been, they were internal releases only and have not been distributed. They are not listed on the Rip lists either, but Rips generally suck.

— Alan

XBox Media Center and all the various other goodies are FAR too good NOT to have a modded XBox.

The running games from HD is just bonus AFAIC, as I don’t really like many XBox games.

It sounds to me like Starforce is going to drive people all the way over to warez. SafeDisc and others introduced people to the idea of nocd cracks. With Starforce, they’ll have to dowload the whole ISO to get it working. And if they’re doing that, why would they buy the game?

I still don’t understand why it’s impossible to make copy protection that’s nigh-impossible to crack without it also breaking the program.

Just because you can steal something, doesn’t mean you should.

Historically, I’ve always bought games that I actually intend to play. These tend to be RPGs.

Then came arcanum. The final version was released to pirates three months before stores solely delayed for localization. A highly anticipated RPG by a developer that I really like. Did I pirate it? Of course I did. Did I intend to pay for it when it finally came out? Yes, I truly truly did. Believe me, I have no reason to lie.

Did I follow through on my convictions and pay for, essentially, the box three months after I finished the game? Nah.

What it comes down to is that if I take the time to download an ISO, I don’t have the moral fortitude to pay for what I’ve already stolen. And frankly I don’t think too many of you do either.

All of the above is academic though, since BD and its friends using keyless starforce3 protection have not yet been cracked.

Just because you can steal something, doesn’t mean you should.[/quote]

I think his point is before you just had to download a no-cd crack to get around goofy copy protection that didn’t work when you paid for a game. If you are being forced to download an entire copy of the game to get it to work when you paid for it you might be more inclined to skip the paying for it part.

He might have a point. Finding and downloading a no-cd crack is not difficult and a lot of people do it for every game they buy. I do. If people are being forced to download full isos anyway that is a significant amount of time spent to find it, download it, burn it, etc. People may be left wondering why they should buy something that puts them through all of this and either just download it or skip it all together. There is also the fact you are making people find out how to find iso’s etc. not rocket science but once a casual person finds this out the flood gates could open.

– Xaroc

Not true, Gangland was cracked.

— Alan

Just because you can steal something, doesn’t mean you should.[/quote]

I think his point is before you just had to download a no-cd crack to get around goofy copy protection that didn’t work when you paid for a game. If you are being forced to download an entire copy of the game to get it to work when you paid for it you might be more inclined to skip the paying for it part. [/quote]

But you don’t have get around the copy protection at all, and certainly most people who buy the game won’t even think about doing so.

Now, because people find it more convenient to not have the CD in the drive and like to download NOCD cracks, but can’t do so, that’s driving them to pirate the entire game rather than just keep the damn CD in the drive? I dunno, I’m skeptical -it seems like a pretty minor little straw to push them into stealing.

I believe that when he says “because the copy protection doesn’t work” meaning it makes the game/CD not work on his system because the copy protection doesn’t let the CD work in the drive. Which would require you to download a NOCD crack. Or, in this instance, you have to get the whole ISO just to play.

— Alan

No, I am saying for people who have real issues with the copy protection. It will cause them to possibly start pirating more games since they know where to get them now and the work around is a real pain the ass.

– Xaroc

This is a personal anecdote. I’ll leave it up to you whether you think I’m typical. As a student whilst my moral fibre was being shaped, I had many pirated games – more than I actually played. As a working adult, I stopped, and bought my software. In fact, I tended to buy games from publishers whose products I previously enjoyed as pirated wares. Regardless of the copy protection scheme, I was generally too lazy to do anything about it. The game that got me to do somthing was Morrowind. Frame rates were poor to start with and when I read the forums, I found that many were finding a frame rate increase when the copy protection was removed. I quickly found a NO-CD crack. Ever since, I’ve been addicted to the convenience of having a NO-CD crack. If full ISOs were available, I can see how people would be driven to find them, and once found, the temptation to just download ISOs without having bought the game would be quite strong.