Interesting read from The Atlantic : The Doom Spiral of Pernicious Polarization

Also worth noting in the creation of a 2-party system as an inevitability in the US:

1. Though the US has three branches of government, one branch (the Executive) gets to choose the members of another branch (the Judicial).

2. And yet another branch (the Legislative) gets to confirm the appointments made by the Executive branch to the Judicial branch.

Thus you will arrive at a 2-party system as an inevitability, whether you’re doing first past the post, ranked choice, or whatever other voting scheme you come up with. If something in the legislative agenda is a key issue for me (like, say, abortion rights or dark money out of politics or election reform) I am going to tend to vote for someone in the legislative branch and the executive branch who share the same view – as in, they’re likely to be in the same party.

I have a better idea.

Sure, but once you populate it, you can mirror/flip it along any midline or diagonal and it will still be true, acording to someone.

Yes, but Republicans think Democrats are evil because they believe they eat children and suckle on their adrenal glands. I think Republicans are evil because I watched them try and fail to to instigate a coup and are working even now to overturn election results they do not like, effectively ending democracy in this country.

Some people think the world is flat and that people who believe otherwise are hopelessly misinformed. Other people think the world is a sphere and people who believe otherwise are hopelessly misinformed. Despite both groups feeling the same way towards the other, they are not the same.

Nicely stated.

The idea of more than two dominant parties is great but is as likely to happen in the US as Major League Baseball implementing a promotion/relegation system. Also it seems the Far Left and Centre Right really don’t exist in any appreciable numbers here, at least not to form a practical bloc.

Well, we have implemented ranked choice voting in some places in the US, so it’s at least possible.